New transition for Jira project

Paul Sheraton January 12, 2022

so I have been asked to crete a new transition for a Jira Project:

1. When any item is moved to DONE or REJECTED in the X project…

Set the resolution to DONE and the resolution date to current date time

1. When any item is moved out of DONE or REJECT in the X project…..

Set the resolution to BLANK (aka unresolved or empty) and the resolution date to empty

Is this even possible? I have gone into the project settings > Automation

But I don't really understand the logic. I assume he needs to specifiy what he means by 'item' anyway?

2 answers

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

@Paul Sheraton -

Hi Paul:

You can use what @Sam Nadarajan described and yes you don't need automation for Jira.  It is all handled within the WF associated with your project.

When "RESOLUTION" field is set to "DONE", the associated date "Resolved" field will be automatically populated with the date/time stamp of the transition that took place.

When issue moves out of "DONE"/"REJECTED", you just need to ensure that "RESOLUTION" field is set to "NONE" via the post function call in the transition(s)  (i.e. DONE to OPEN transition).  The "Resolved" field will also be automatically get removed by default.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

2 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hello Paul,

What you've described is possible, but you don't need to do it through automation.

In the workflow, select the transition(s) into the DONE or REJECTED statuses (or the transition that you want this behavior for):

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.24.42 AM.png

In the dialog that appears, select "Post Functions". Then select "Add post function":

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.24.57 AM.png

Select "Update Issue Field":

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.25.08 AM.png

Then, select the resolution field and the value of the resolution that you want to set:

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.30.22 AM.png

If you want to clear the resolution field, then in the dropdown select the "None" option. You would need to do this configuration for every transition that you want this behavior on. If you have multiple transitions going into the Done or Rejected status, then I would suggest that you "Use an existing transition" option so that you only need to make the changes once.

Hope this helps

Paul Sheraton January 12, 2022

Thanks I will try it first on my free account!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events