Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New group in Project Roles - doesn't apply to every project

Kamil Podejma December 1, 2021

Hi!

We've stumbled on a problem when we're trying to add a new group through System -> Project Roles and Manage Default Members.

I'm using the Viewers group in Project Roles to add a new group of users, but sadly it's only applied to newly created Jira Projects, not existing ones.

Did anyone find how to handle this issue? Is there any option to propagate this change to all existing projects?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

There's no problem here, it is working as intended.

A default value is only supposed to be used when something is created.  It is not a global setting that you can change later.

It would actually be a dreadful thing to do, to have a change like this propogated to all projects automatically - a lot of projects do not want groups or users added to them later just because someone thinks it's a good idea, they want to retain control over their users - that's the whole point of using roles in projects - the project owners can control the access.

You will need to add new groups to existing projects manually, or with code.  And I'd strongly recommend talking to all the project owners before you do it (or asking them to do it)

Kamil Podejma December 1, 2021

Thanks, Nic!

We want to add our internal Business Intelligence team to all projects to gain insight into the workload.

That's why I'd like to propagate this change to all projects.
Of course, I can tell our PMs to add them manually, but that would be very time-consuming with this number of projects like ours.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

You will need to add new groups to existing projects manually, or with code.  And check before inflicting potentially unwanted change on the project owners.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events