Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

New Jira Issue View - add fields on transition screens

I'm trying to add any new field to our resolution transition screens that are already associated with our existing workflows in place.

I was using all the default workflow and screens before and this is the first instance of customizing this particular screen. I have added it to every transition screen available and it never shows up when transitioning from any of the workflows. Specifically trying to add the built in Request Type already associated with the Issue types and workflows.

Is it possible that they need to be published in someway from the workflows or schemas? There is no draft status of these screens like there are on workflows but I have no modified workflows in anyway.

I have tried different fields but only the default values show up on the actual transition screen (pic 2)

screen fields.PNGtransition screen.PNG

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Jul 07, 2021

If you want a field to show on a transition screen then you need to associate the screen with the transition. This is done in the workflow if you click on the transition and edit that transition you’ll see a modal pop up with name, description and screen. The last field is where you associate the transition screen. Now if you want any of the files that appear on that screen to be required then you would add a validator for each required feel as part of that transition.

the transition was already associated with the screen i was modifyingscreen 3 fields.PNGscreen 3 workflow.PNG screen 3 transition screen.PNGscreen 3 status.PNG

first image refers to Jira Service Desk Resolve Issue Screen - 3 while he workflow refers to “…Pending Reason…”.

Agreed but i have added this field to every single transition screen associated to a workflow and am bad at highlighting. The Workflow + screen association still shows the correct association, just 3 lines up.

I have no found any other posts in regards to the "Request Type" field specifically on transition screens for the new view so this may just be unsupported

I haven’t played with adding the request type to a transition screen. However I can’t understand why it wouldn’t work. If I get some time tonight or tomorrow I will play with it a bit and see if I can get it to work. 

@Jack -

The actual name for "Request Type" is "Customer Request Type" in JSM.  See my additional reply to Michael in this question.  It is my opinion that this field should not be used in the transition screen since "Request Type" has many dependency to the request type setup in JSM (i.e. issue type etc.)

Looking forward to your findings and best practices.

Best, Joseph

Correct on field name. Agree that it may be tricky since the request type is associated to a specific issue type so unsure how you would control that but again I have not even attempted myself. 

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Michael Quarters -

Welcome to the community.  I agreed with @Jack comment.  NOTE that if your field is a new custom field, then you will need to ensure that the field is setup to the specific project and a specific issue type (if it is not a global scoped field - available for all projects/all issue types).  Otherwise, even you added to the transition screen used by WFs, the field will not be displayed in the screen since it is not exposed to the project/issue type.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

I'm not entirely sure about the global scope. I am trying to add the "Request Type" field which is only available in Service Management and has associations with Issue types but that works fine in the actual "Create, Edit or View" screens where I'm already using the "Request Type" field so i know its available to the project.

I'm just trying to expose the same field on the view screen as the transition screens for the given issue.

@Michael Quarters -

So your problem is that "Request Type" is not showing up right?  If so, what is your reasoning behind on showing this field in the transition screen.

"Request Type" field is automatically populated when the issue is created.  I don't believe you can use it outside of the standard screens since it is a special reserved field in JSM.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung YinCorrect, the reasoning being that the request type defaults to a general bucket for emailed requests and many are 1 touch tickets so to be able to re-categorize these on the transition screen LIKE you can do on the edit screen would be a benefit.

I was concerned that this field would not be expose on this field at all so I attempted to add others as a test and have so far been unsuccessful but maybe i keep picking the "wrong" field to test with

What you see on the issue view screen "Request Type" it is actually named "Customer Request Type" which is auto displayed in the Issue View Screen in JSM.  I have not seen any implementation that you wanted in dealing with this field.

2021-07-07_15-08-24.png

The better implementation options are -

1) You should create different Request Type for your JSM project, so when issue is created is automatically categorized properly.  So no WF transition is involved.

2) Have you look into the field name "Product categorization"?  You should use that field to assist your categorization need for your issues.  This is also a JSM default custom field to assist categorization need.

Best, Joseph

Like Michael Quarters likes this

@Michael Quarters -

If both of our suggestions (JACK and myself) resolve your asks, please remember to click on the "Answer Accepted" button when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Atlympic Event: Jira Service Managemnt

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

119 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you