Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need support to recover projects

Ali Reehan January 11, 2023

Hi,

The projects which were entered to track and manage are lost from my profile. Can anyone please suggest on how to recover those projects.

3 answers

0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Ali Reehan 

Couple of things for you to consider from a data protection / recovery:

• Projects
  • Issues, Attachments & Configuration
    • When an issue or attachment or configuration object is deleted it is lost instantaneously, there is no way to recover it back unless you have backed-up data - see more below - My reference to configuration is with regards to workflows, screens, custom fields etc..

With the above in mind here are couple of pointers:

Here are the options you have:

• Do nothing - You are accepting the risk to potential data loss
  • Have a data protection strategy by way backing up your data and storing it securely:
    1. Use Atlassian provided mechanisms to backup your data
    2. Use third party tools backup & restore your data

Picking options 1 or 2 have their own pros & cons

reference my view here on #1 

With third party tools look for the one which provides you the most flexibility for your specific use case. If you are interested I can share more on what we have built at Revyz.

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Ali Reehan 

I assume you've checked for these in the Projects List?

To do this:

• On the top navigation bar, select Projects
  • Check if the Projects are in your recent list - if not, select View All Projects
  • Search for your Projects in here

If they're not visible, see below for more options.

---

You'll need to be a Jira Admin for the next two options (if you're not one, contact them)

Project Access:

You might have had your access revoked if this is a Company-managed Project. To check this...

• Go to Jira Settings > Projects
  • Ensure you are on the Manage Projects page on the left-hand menu
  • Search for your Project. If you locate it...
    • Press the breadcrumbs (3-dots icon) on the right-hand side of the row
    • Select Project Settings
    • Next, select Permissions from the left-hand menu
    • Check what permissions you need to Browse Projects - which is the permission you need to view a Project. You can then review the appropriate section based on how the permission is granted - eg.
      • Project Role: Go to People on the left-hand menu, and ensure you have an appropriate Role. If not, add yourself to one
      • Group: Go to User Management, and ensure you are in the appropriate Group
      • ...etc

Project Trash:

The Project might have been deleted but not removed from the Trash. To check this...

• Go to Jira Settings > Projects
  • Select Trash from the left-hand menu
  • Look if your Project is in here

If it is and it shouldn't be, you can restore it using the breadcrumbs (3-dots icon) on the right-hand side.

---

If you have a Team-managed Project, a Project Admin can check your access:

• Go to Project Settings
  • Select Access from the left-hand menu
  • Select Change Project Access - and check if the Project has been made "Private" - if it's not meant to be this, have it changed back to "Limited" or "Open"
  • If it is Private and should be, check on the Access page that you have a role set, so you can see the Project

---

If the Project has been fully deleted (including from trash), you can try contacting Atlassian Support - but I'm pretty sure they cannot restore a Project once it has been permanently deleted from your instance.

You could also speak to your internal Admin team and see if a site-wide back-up has been taken recently - if it has, they might be able to restore it for you :)

---

Let us know how you get on!

Ste

0 votes
Sushant Verma
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2023

Hi @Ali Reehan 

Welcome to community!

To restore a project is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history. You will need to recreate the project. Deleting the project doesn't delete the associated workflows, custom fields, or schemes. 

Or you can also download a third-party tool to recover your projects.

Hope this will help!

Regards,
Sushant Verma

Hi Sushant,

Does this mean that projects once lost is lost forever.

Also u mentioned about a third party tool to recover my projects.

Can you please elaborate.

Regards,

Shahid

Sushant Verma
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2023

Hi @Ali Reehan 

You can use the Bitwar Data Recovery to do this and do not save new files on your device. 

Or hope this below document will help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-a-project-from-backup-938847691.html

Regards,
Sushant Verma

Thanks Sushanth.

Let me give a try.

Regards,

Shahid

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD