Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Access

Colleen Gotling January 25, 2022

I am a new administrator and Google is the only one teaching me so I'm hoping someone on her can help.  We have both Jira Software and Jira Service Management at our company.  I have create a form in Jira Service Management for our business to be able to send in requests.  The form contains various fields with dropdowns for adding other employees (project sponsor, stakeholders, etc).  I have just 2 users currently that are signed into the portal, but the dropdowns don't show any names and I believe it is because the created an account before I added them as a user.  Now I can't seem to link those two accounts and the bad one is the only one they are able to sign into in the portal.  I have added them as customers and "people" on my project and now I see two emails the wrong one and the right one but again, the wrong one is the one they keep getting forced to log into.  

1 answer

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2022

Hello @Colleen Gotling,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, I would like to clarify some details.

I have just 2 users currently that are signed into the portal, but the dropdowns don't show any names

I understood that, when the users go to the portal, they are unable to search for users on the user picker fields. Is that correct?

If that’s the case, it can be related to the customer permissions. Go to the Project settings > Customer permissions (company-managed) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (team-managed) and check f the Customer sharing is set to Customers can search for other customers within their project or organizations.

When you say two accounts, do you mean that there are two accounts with the exact same email address?

If so, then the only way to merge those accounts to prevent issues from happening due to the conflict of customers vs internal accounts, it’s necessary to migrate the customer account to the Atlassian account, so it will be merged.

To fix this, go to Cog icon > User management.

First, disable the product access, so the user won’t count towards the licenses, so click on Product access and uncheck all the products. This option won’t affect any existing users.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 14.37.42.png

After that, click on Jira Service Management on the left side, search for the affected user, and migrate their account.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 14.39.27.png

Please, take your time to test and if you have any questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Colleen Gotling January 26, 2022

I think I might need to do as you suggested and merge the accounts.  But, before I go through that I want to explain what I found and give a little more detail and hopefully you can confirm if merging will work.

I noticed that I had the customer permissions set to allow anyone on the web to enter a request.  What I really want is to only allow people that we add to the project.  So  think that we have a few people that logged into the portal before I was able to add them because they are able to submit a request but they have to manually enter the email addresses.   As a test, I update the permission to only allow people the agents added and the one guy (who we did add) got an error because I believe he must have still been logged into his original account.  So with that being said, can you confirm that merging the accounts is the correct way to go?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2022

Hi Colleen,

On Jira Service Management there are two types of people:

Internal users:

This type of user is invited via Cog icon > User management and usually has a license so they can work on tickets internally.

When adding people via Project settings > People, even selecting the Service Desk Customer role, they will be added as an internal user.

Customers:

Customers are unlicensed people that can only access the customer portal. To invite customers it’s necessary to go to the customers’ page in the project. 

Now that your project is closed so only agents and admins can add customers, it’s important that they are invited via the customers’ page.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 16.44.01.png 

Also, on Cog icon > User management > Site access, it would be important to select “Don’t approve any domain”. This is just to avoid duplicated accounts.

So with that being said, can you confirm that merging the accounts is the correct way to go?

If this person has two accounts with the same email address, yes, the best option is to migrate to Atlassian account because all the tickets they created previously, the comments on tickets will also be migrated to the “new” account.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events