Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must my user picker selections be assigned users?

David Meyer August 31, 2020

My Customer list uses the organization (@company.com).
Many approvers of various types are Dept. heads who are not directly configured as users.

Can I still assign the Dept. Heads as an approver  in either:
a) custom user-picker field in Approval workflow scenario?
b) Approver field for specific Request Type scenario?

OR - for a restricted portal that is not open to all, can I list an approver (workflow)  or "Approvers" (field) as a Customer and make this work?

Seems we have to always pay for them to be a JSD User (is this because the ticket is already created so to access it they need to be a user?)...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2020

There's are two questions here, to my mind (I am an Engineer by training, so quite a lot of reductionism goes on in my head)

First, there is the field type.  A user field has a set of options that should represent user accounts.  It might be limited to a sub-set of the whole list, but a user field can only contain objects that are users.  If a person does not have a user account, they cannot appear in a field that is based on users.

Second is how you are using them.  Jira really only recognises two types of account - Jira users (who may be granted all sorts of different abilities - service desk agents, developers, admins, simple business users and so-on), and Customers (who only have access to the Service Desk Portal(s)).

Either way, your approvers need to be recognisable users.

David Meyer September 3, 2020

Thanks, Nic.  Didn't connect the term "User" with the field type name at first but that makes total sense now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2020

Yes, it's exposed in the custom field type, but end-users don't necessarily get to see that on screen during create/edit/transition, so it's not obvious!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events