cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move tickets across teams best practice

Stefan van Dijk April 8, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

Right now, my company is using TOPdesk as an ITSM-tool. However, we want to improve our service management and are looking for a new tool.

I have been looking into Jira for a couple of days now and I am super stoked! There are a lot of possibilities built-in, but also with plugins on the marketplace.

TOPdesk in general was super easy to use. It's strength was in the simplicity. Jira is a bit harder I noticed. I have trouble finding the vision that Atlassian has with Jira how to share tickets across teams?

What is the best approach in this?
- Do I create one service project for each team? (for example: 1 for ICT, 1 for Facility, 1 for HR)
- Or do I create one service project for all the teams?
- And how to easily move a ticket from one team to another?
EDIT: and what about multiple ICT teams (for example support, infrastructure, etc.). Is it recommended to create multiple service projects or just one? I simply dont know :)

Can you guys please tell me the Atlassian best practice, but maybe also how you set this up in your own organization?

Appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2021

@Stefan van Dijk Welcome to community.

Great question and you are correct that there are a lot of different ways you can go when setting this up.  I have configured it both ways.  A single service desk with everyone in it and multiple service desks.  I would say that it really comes down to how your organization is structured, size of the organization, how well everyone works together (Culture) and your specific goals.

One thing to remember is that the service management at it's core is setup to provide the customer with a good experience regardless of the configuration.  If you have a single service desk or multiple the portal (Help Center) will provide a seamless experience for the customer.  

Single Service Desk - I have setup a single service desk small and large companies that had a dedicated central support team.  The main driver was SLA reporting / service desk reporting for all areas.  They wanted an easy way to pull information out of the service desk through delivered means.  We used issue security to hide issues that only needed to be visible to departments like HR.

Multiple Service Desks - I have also setup service desk for large and small companies that wanted a service desk for each area.  This actually makes a lot of sense to help each area more easily organize their work and keep track of their issues.  It is also helpful for the customers if you have a very large organization.  All the service desks can be accessed from the help center and issues can be easily moved from one service desk to the other.

Hope this helps.  I would suggest setting up an instance and testing it out to see what would work best for your organization.  

Stefan van Dijk April 8, 2021

Hi @Brant Schroeder

Thanks for your reply.

So right now we have the ICT Servicedesk functioning as a SPOC, only for ICT.
The Servicedesk dispatches to 2nd line assignment groups like application management or infrastructure.

How would you set this up? Would you create one service project for ICT in general with multiple queues? or would you create a single service project for each assignment group?

Note: the servicedesk is allowed to view/edit the tickets which are on the application management or infrastructure group.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Do the same customers submit issues to both app management and infrastructure?  If so I would just have a single service desk and group request types into those areas.  Depending on how you run your application and infrastructure teams you might consider creating two internal Jira Software projects which would allow you to organize their work into sprints or on a kanban board.  You can then link the service desk issues to project issues and your SPOC can report back and update the customer when an issue has been resolved.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events