Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Custom Field

lapacquah_bryant May 25, 2022

Hello,

Performing Custom Field audit and want to know what is best practice for keeping this area of the application up to date.  

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2022

Hi @lapacquah_bryant 

Could you please give more details about what you mean by custom field audit and what you expect in the result?

Maybe this article will be helpful:

Audit in Jira: How to get Jira audit log and issues changelog?

lapacquah_bryant May 26, 2022

Good morning,

We want to remove any unused custom fields or duplicates.

Thank you.

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

Hi @lapacquah_bryant and welcome to the community!

This is a laborious process no matter how you slice it, but definitely good Jira hygiene all the same.  Historically, I'll do this:

1. Go page by page and copy to a spreadsheet. 
  2. Work through the fields based upon how many screens they're on from 0 to n

It's not pretty, but it's the most efficient method I've come up with.  

lapacquah_bryant May 26, 2022

Thank you @Mark Segall for the tips can you elaborate on #2 working through the fields based on the screens.   For instance what does "No Information" mean, are these custom fields we can remove due to no information or use.  Will we still need to review the screens/context information prior to removing if the answer is yes?  See sample custom field below.

Name            Type                    Screen/Context                  Last Used

UNK           Text Single Line      6 screens, 1 context          No Information

Thank you @Mark Segall I will see if there are any other suggestions or ways to keep custom fields update to date and remove whats not being used.  

Can you elaborate when you say work through the fields based on the screens.  What am I looking for to determine if customer fields is being utilized?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

That's a good question - I've seen "No Information" on the Last Used on a number of custom fields, but I know they're in use.  I'm not 100% sure how that Last Used is calculated.  Perhaps someone else in the community has some insight on that attribute.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events