Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Managing Custom Field

Hello,

Performing Custom Field audit and want to know what is best practice for keeping this area of the application up to date.  

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
yuliia_b__SaaSJet_ Marketplace Partner May 26, 2022

Hi @lapacquah_bryant 

Could you please give more details about what you mean by custom field audit and what you expect in the result?

Maybe this article will be helpful:

Audit in Jira: How to get Jira audit log and issues changelog?

Good morning,

We want to remove any unused custom fields or duplicates.

Thank you.

0 votes
Mark Segall Community Leader May 25, 2022

Hi @lapacquah_bryant and welcome to the community!

This is a laborious process no matter how you slice it, but definitely good Jira hygiene all the same.  Historically, I'll do this:

1. Go page by page and copy to a spreadsheet. 
  2. Work through the fields based upon how many screens they're on from 0 to n

It's not pretty, but it's the most efficient method I've come up with.  

Thank you @Mark Segall for the tips can you elaborate on #2 working through the fields based on the screens.   For instance what does "No Information" mean, are these custom fields we can remove due to no information or use.  Will we still need to review the screens/context information prior to removing if the answer is yes?  See sample custom field below.

Name            Type                    Screen/Context                  Last Used

UNK           Text Single Line      6 screens, 1 context          No Information

Thank you @Mark Segall I will see if there are any other suggestions or ways to keep custom fields update to date and remove whats not being used.  

Can you elaborate when you say work through the fields based on the screens.  What am I looking for to determine if customer fields is being utilized?

Mark Segall Community Leader May 26, 2022

That's a good question - I've seen "No Information" on the Last Used on a number of custom fields, but I know they're in use.  I'm not 100% sure how that Last Used is calculated.  Perhaps someone else in the community has some insight on that attribute.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

276 views 0 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you