Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking two Jira Service Management projects from different organizations

Mikael Møller Hansen December 22, 2021

Hi

Anyone has any insight or ideas on how to link (or replicate) a Jira Service Management project from one organization to a Jira Service Management project in another organization? If replicating the sync should be bi-directional.

The goal is to have people from both organizations to collaborate on the issues, with a shared view of the statuses, comments, attachments etc.

Best regards

Mikael

2 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2022

This is one of the use cases also covered by Exalate 
(I'm with the vendor of Exalate)

With that solution, you can automatically escalate issues from a.atlassian.net to b.atlassian.net for all tickets that match certain criteria (or even all of them)

Still there are a couple of challenges with syncing which needs some reflection

* Do you need that the ticket on b is also visible to the customers who created it on a
* Whenever an organisation is added on a, should that organisation also be on b - containing the same set of customers
* What about notifications. 
If the customer is on both tickets (we call them twins), should he get notifications from both systems whenever there is an update ...

Francis

Mikael Møller Hansen January 5, 2022

Hi Francis

It looks interesting.

Naturally thee customer should see their ticket as handled by a single instance (so notifications and visibility should only be from the one organization (e.i. a.atlasssian.net).

I this it would require a trial to explorer the possibilities and the pitfalls. For example, will Exalate syncronize "configuration" off the SD projects e.g. queues and workflows between the two instances (different orgs)?

https://docs.idalko.com/exalate/display/ED/Basic+configuration+in+Exalate+for+Jira+Cloud only mentions issues and properties related to issues?

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2022

Exalate will NOT synchronise configurations.  The assumption is that the workflow is setup on both sides. 

Once that this is done - exalate can be used to synchronise ticket information bidirectionally - including the status information.

With the configuration of the connection - you can specify how the status needs to be orchestrated over the two environment.

If you would like to have more details, please feel free to book a demo
https://exalate.com/book-demo/

or just give it a try and let us know :-)

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Hi @Mikael Møller Hansen. Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If the ultimate goal is to have people from both organizations collaborate on issues, wouldn't sharing the issue with both organizations be sufficient? I know customers can't select more than one organization during issue creation, even if they belong to more than one, but you could automate that. Is it for the same service project or different ones? Do you want to share all tickets created by members from both orgs or have the ability to share a subset of tickets selectively?

Mikael Møller Hansen December 22, 2021

Hi @Ivan Lima . Thanks

Well, regarding the service projects, It could preferbly be the same one, but as both organizations have their own Atlassian organization I do not think that is a possibility. When the service project is created in my organization (let us say a.atlassian.net) it is - to my knowledge - not possible to have that service project also appear in the other organization (let us say b.atlasian.net) integrating into the portals an all.

When you say sharing the issue you mean have both parties being a member of the same Atlassian organization working on the same service project? Or have I missed some documentation mentioning the option for collaborating cross-org?

We properly need to share all tickets. In our flow we have a service provider (handling Service Desk and infrastructure teams tickets) i.e. work on tier 1 and 2 tickets. But they might assign the tickets to us (to tier 3 and sometimes tier 2) so we will handle the tickets. 

We - logically - share the SLA, knowledge base, queues etc. For the customer/requester it should appear as a single service desk/ticketing system.

Any further hints, links etc are greatly appreciated.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2021

I misread that; you meant organizations to the site level, not grouping customers into organizations within your service project. Cloud sites are independent; therefore, natively, sharing should be done within the same cloud instance, not across instances. You can manage managed accounts to the organization level, though it won't make products shareable from the perspective you described.  Have you thought about merging or migrating them into one site if you have a strong sharing requirement between those projects/organizations?

Mikael Møller Hansen January 2, 2022

Hi again

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to migrate one of the sites, as both organizations have several service desks projects. We would like for the users to be able to work on all their issues in all service desks without having to working in different organizations. But as I understand you, that is not an option?

So I would have to watch issues, and work in both organizations. But the mitigating factors are that I can use the same Atlassian account (even with SSO - Azure AD) and get notifications from both accounts. So users having to deal with two different URLs, would be somewhat eased.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2022

Notifications help in this case, but you can explore some level of synchronization through marketplace apps, such as Backbone Issue Sync for Jira. You can also create an application link and explore that integration too.

Mikael Møller Hansen January 5, 2022

Ok, I'll have to look into this.

David Bridge November 7, 2022

Has there been any update to this? I am looking to do a similar integration between Atlassian and Atlassian Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events