Linked ticket status

Pete Piro May 7, 2021

Hello,

For the majority of support tickets I receive, I need to create additional development tickets (hd/sw) which I link back to the support ticket and can easily display those links in the queue.

However, I would like to add a new column in the queue that would show the status of those linked tickets.  

The support ticket workflow has 4 states - Open, Waiting For Support, Waiting For Customer, Resolved.  States of our HD/SW tickets provide a greater definition - In Dev, In Testing, etc... which I want to display.  

Is there a way to display that information?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

Dear @Pete Piro ,

by design of JSM no issues of Jira Software projects can be displayed within the queues. And there is no functionally to show from a query the status of linked issues. Per issue, the status of linked issues are visible, but not when you are in a queue or list. You have to open each ticket to see the linked issues.

If I understood you right, you would like to know, when the HW/SW issues are done, so you can proceed with the ticket, right?

What you need is some extended automation. The built-in has no "Linked status change" rule. Eventually there are apps on the https://marketplace.atlassian.com that can provide this. If you do not want to spend money or you cannot find any, you could script your own automation over the REST Api of Jira:

You could introduce a new status for your tickets: "Waiting for Dev.". You push the ticket to this status when you linked HW / SW issues to it. Now your script, that is called all 15 min, does following:

• search for tickets in status "Waiting for Dev".
  • for each issue in that list look for linked issues.
  • when all linked issues have a "resolution", transition ticket to "Waiting for Support".

It would be also possible to just return the status information of linked issues per ticket and send it like a report to yourself or auto-generate a static html overview page.

But you need to do some coding for that. I would estimate 2-4 hours for a developer with Python or PHP skills and XP with JIRAs REST APIs.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events