Limit Assignee to member of Assignment Group

David Meredith October 13, 2021

Hi all,

In JSM there is no out of the box functionality for assignment group. This is standard in almost every other ITSM that I've worked with and it amazes me that this isn't already part of the product.

I've seen a lot of forum posts about how to achieve this with scriptrunner / addons but I've found a way to implement this with standard jira functionality so I thought I'd share this with the community. Apologies if this has been done already, I haven't seen it if so.

1. Create a Custom Group Picker field and call it Assignable Group (or whatever you want)
  2. Go to the project that you want to implement this is in
  3. Go to Project Settings > Permissions
  4. Change the permissions in 'Assignable User' to only allow members of Assignable Group

Assignable_User.JPG

This will only allow you to limit the assignee to a user that exists in the chosen Assignment Group.

THE PROBLEM IS I can't see a way of limiting the group picker field to only include the groups that you want to use as assignment groups, it will list all of the groups that exist in User Management > Groups. Including jira-administrators etc.

To get around this I've had to create a list / cascading list field that only contains the Assignment Group that I want. Assignable Group is then hidden from all screens.

When the user changes the Assignment Group field an automation rule will run to:

1. Clear the current assignee (they probably won't be part of the newly assigned group)
  2. Increment the Assignment Count (which also doesn't get tracked by default...)
  3. Populate the Assignable Group based on the Assignment Group chosen (using IF/ELSE)

Automation - Assignment Group Changed.JPG

Hoping this will be useful to others. Also, if you can suggest a better / simpler way of achieving this functionality I'd love to hear it.

Many thanks,
Dave

2 comments

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2021

Hi @David Meredith 

I would use an Insight field containing data from the CMDB and associated to an object type named Assignable Group that contain your JIRA groups that you use only when assigning an issue. It would contain the "real" groups instead of a custom field list that has to be maintain manually. I think it would also simplify your automation rule

Like # people like this
David Meredith October 13, 2021

Hi @Carmen Nadeau ,

That sounds really interesting. We don't utilise Insight at the moment because we're looking at an external CMDB.

Do you have any details on how to create those Insight fields?

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2021

Hi @David Meredith 

You can use Insight CMDB not only for your CIs but you can create a Schema containing pretty much anything you may need to complete info for your CI  (attributes) that are reusable with other CI. An attribute can be another object so the possibilities are there.

Here is the documentation for creating an Insight custom field 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/set-up-the-insight-object-field/

Like David Meredith likes this
David Meredith October 14, 2021

Hi @Carmen Nadeau ,

I've had a play around with Insight and I've been able to make an Insight Custom Field with CMDB values that link to the existing User Management > Groups.

The problem that I've found is that the 'Assignable User' permission doesn't allow you to use an Insight Custom Field to determine who can be assigned to a ticket.

I'm a bit lost with assignment group as I haven't found an example that works really well / simply.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2022

Very Insightful!!

Thanks for Sharing @David Meredith

Like David Meredith likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events