Legacy automation is being superseded by Automation in Jira Service Management

Makarand Gomashe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2021

Hi everyone!

In a phased rollout starting on August 30, 2021, we will turn off Legacy automation for all new Jira Service Management sites. This change is part of our Automation Unification effort to concentrate development efforts and give JSM users a single, powerful automation platform.

If you’re currently using Legacy automation, you will not lose access to your rules and you can continue using and editing them as usual. For Jira Service Management sites created after August 30, 2021 you will see one Automation choice in your project settings.

What’s the timeline for Automation Unification?

This announcement is about the first step in delivering a unified Automation experience. For more information on the timeline and what changes you can expect at each step, please visit the What Is Legacy Automation page to learn more.

Getting started with Jira Automation

We encourage you to start using the Jira Automation for all new rules you create. If you’re not sure where to start, please have a look at our handy getting started guide for Automation.

We want to hear from you

If you have questions, please comment on this article. We’ll post our answers here and chances are your question will help others, too.

Thanks,
Makarand Gomashe
Product Manager, JSM

6 comments

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2021

@Makarand Gomashe any update on when all functionalities currently supported by the legacy automation, will be supported by the new automation?

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2021

Yep this is critical in my opinion.

Makarand Gomashe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2021

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_,

We will continue to add functionalities into Automation including the ones supported by Legacy Automation. The updates on which will be regularly communicated.

Also, for any required functionalities, we encourage communicating to our support or upvoting existing tickets, for us to understand concerns and prioritise our efforts suitably. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

In earlier communications I was left with the impression that Atlassian would be converting any Legacy rules to the new automation. Is this indeed the case or is it left up to the individual admin's two establish replacement rules?

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

I was left with that impression as well, or to say the least, that the new automation would eventually include all "old legacy" features, which would let admins create their new automations, based on the legacy ones.

Rosa M Fossi August 17, 2021

That's not an impression at all.  That was stated in an email sent to us a while back.  I've just spent the last 30 minutes digging through old emails, and I haven't found it yet...  I'll keep digging.  

PS: I'm in a bit of panic.  I have 0 bandwidth to comb through our legacy automations over the next 8 business days. And I know for a fact there are a couple of important ones that I haven't touched since I was certain those would be ported over. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2021

@Rosa M Fossi , The post above does not convey that your legacy automation will stop working at the end of this month. What it says is that for any new instance of Jeera being created beginning September 1 will not have the legacy automation option.

here is the text to focus on…

If you’re currently using Legacy automation, you will not lose access to your rules and you can continue using and editing them as usual.

Rosa M Fossi August 18, 2021

@Jack Brickey  Thank you. I actually went back and re-read everything carefully before going to bed last night and realized my brain had latched on to certain words only and I panicked for nothing. LOL 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2021

i do that all the time! cheeky

Like Rosa M Fossi likes this
Makarand Gomashe
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2021

Thank you @Jack Brickey for highlighting the important part.

Yes, we would not be changing anything in Legacy Automation for our existing users in this rollout plan. Though we encourage creating all new rules in Automation. 

We will continue to add new features to Automation (including the ones in Legacy Automation), and we will keep everyone updated on the changes.

Richard Cross March 15, 2023

Any comment on if/when "Legacy Automation" feature will be removed from Data Center Edition?

Like Olivia Adams likes this
Jason Michaud June 19, 2023

@Makarand Gomashe I have not seen a reply to @Richard Cross message above. 

Can your Jira Data Center customers leave their old Legacy Automations alone or do we need to plan on re-creating them all in the new non-Legacy Automation of Jira? These automations have been in-place for many years and I would rather not have to touch something when it's not broke and go through a process to recreate them in the new Automation section because Atlassian decides to deprecate the Legacy Automation section. Thank you for any feedback so we can plan accordingly.

Like # people like this
Alex Ziegltrum September 10, 2023

Hi all,

we just noticed, that at least one (1) legacy automation is created by default, when a new project is created.

Can that be deactivated?

Up to now, we were not using legacy automation in our environment, we have our needs covered without it.

Out of curiousity - do you have a couple examples, what still can be done by legacy automation and not yet by the automation platform?

@Makarand Gomashe @Jack Brickey @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Makarand Gomashe
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2023

Hi @Alex Ziegltrum 

Thanks for highlighting the issue. As checked, for the sites that have legacy automation enabled, we do not create automation rules by default. For us to understand what is exactly happening on your site, I request you to create a support ticket on support.atlassian.com with the required details.

Further, we believe that Automation for Jira does not have functional gaps to meet all the major usecases. Yet, if you are facing a challenge automating a usecase on A4J and have to use Legacy Automation for the same, please let us know via the support ticket. We would be happy to understand and assist with the required usecases.

Alex Ziegltrum September 14, 2023

Hi @Makarand Gomashe 

I already have a support case opened. I will refer to this thread in the case, to get things checked.

Thanks!

Aliosha Romero October 17, 2023

Hi @Makarand Gomashe

In the new automation packaging, are legacy rules supposed to be considered? If so, I do not see that in the new usage view. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2023

No they do not today. With that said Legacy may (likely) disappear one day.

Aliosha Romero October 17, 2023

Not without getting a chance to migrate the rules, I hope?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2023

I'm sure that is the case.case in point this article dates to August 2021. I have migrated most of my clients but slow rolling this now given new Automation limits.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events