Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira service desk automation - dynamic comment action

jiraAD June 16, 2022

Hi community, 

I am working on a project, which utilizes Jira's service desk. I am required to make a simple action tool, which helps find any user's information (project roles, system roles, etc, almost like the functionalities of user management tab under admin access in Jira) through a user picker input. I am able to successfully make the user picker form, but then for the "then" step in automation, I was thinking of adding a comment, which dynamically changes and retrieves the specified user's informations and adds it as a comment to that issue. Is this possible (maybe through smart values), or if not, what alternatives are there for me? I would prefer no additional resources outside of Jira, but if not then I am alright. 

Any help would be wonderful!

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

@jiraAD -

Welcome to the community.  Not quite understand your ask.  Here are my questions for you:

1) Your "user picker form" already provide you with all the user information inside the form itself?  I don't see how you can obtain the role information without customized scripting to populate the fields as displayed in the form?

2) User uses your form to create issues in your JSM project.  Because it doesn't make sense when you ask you want to create a comment to the issue when there are no issue to be created.

If just using out of the box functionality, then you will need to create custom scripting using REST API to obtain user's information and then add them as a comment to the issue created.  

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

jiraAD June 16, 2022

Hii,

Thank you for your response.

1) My user picker allows the user to select a particular user, for now. I can use that detail for future use, which is to get the requested user's information (possibly). I have the custom fields and related functionality setup for the service desk request page, but do not know how to proceed.

2) When a user requests for another user's information through the service desk platform, it creates an issue under the service desk project. I have the automation rule, which gets triggered when an issue is created, therefore with immediate effect. I am just unsure about how to use the input, and possibly make a dynamic comment, which returns the informations, cause the "comment" automation is static in the automation page. I was wondering if smart values could help me out here, but am not really sure how it works either. 

Thank you

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

@jiraAD -

Automation rule using smart value should work for you.  Please take a look at the following links -

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-users/

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

The second link will allow you to find out your custom field where then you can use it for smart value.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events