Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Management for internal users (Jira Mail Handler)

Terry Middleton May 17, 2022

Do internal users need dual Jira licenses?

We setup a Jira Service Desk project that will be used for internal staff only.  All internal staff have an account and license for Jira.

Currently, we have internal users (all have Jira licenses) send 'IT' request to a common inbox. We setup a Jira Email Handler to pull those emails from the common inbox and create Jira Service Desk Issues. 

From a previous community question  the Jira Email Handler requires that all users have a license in order to create a Jira Service Desk issue.

Can anyone confirm that in order to use a Jira Email Handler, the internal user must also have a Jira Service Desk license in addition to a regular Jira licenses.  So in affect internal users need to have dual licenses (Jira and Jira Service Desk)?

Terry

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Only agents in JSM needs a license, you can set up your internal users to be customers so that they can submit requests via email without one.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Clarke
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Hi Terry,

Your internal users could create issues without a license if they are "Customers"

They could create tickets via a mail handler or directly through the customer portal.

You could create an Organization to act as a container for all of your internal users so it's easier to distinguish them from your other customers.

You only need a Service Desk license if you need to edit and transition an issue in JSM (for example a user with a Jira Software license can be a "collaborator" and comment/add attachments to an issue but can't transition it through the workflow)

Here's an article that probably explains it better than I do
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-user-types-and-roles/

Hope this helps

Terry Middleton May 24, 2022

Mike,

Thank you for your insight.  I must not have something setup correctly, even though it's basic and everything seems in order.  

I have added everyone in company as a customer.  I have a Jira Email Handler setup to retrieve emails out of a common IT Inbox.

It will 'only' retrieve an email that comes from me and nobody else.  I am the only Jira Service Management licensee.  Everyone else is a customer, though they all have Jira licenses, just not JSM licenses.

Also, the 'issue' that gets created for me when retrieved by the Jira Email Helper does not send the Notifications.  Only when JSM creates an 'issue' will the 'Notifications' get sent.

Either I don't have Jira Email Helper setup correctly or it is not to be used in the manner we are using it.  

It is very strange because everything looks correct.

Thank you for your insight.

Terry

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events