Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Keeps Removing Due Date from Issue View

Dan.Napolitano January 17, 2023

I am modifying a request type.

I wish to make Due date a required field, and to show it in the issue view.

This permission is available (schedule issues) in the project to all the project's roles.

Whenever I add the field and save changes, Jira provides positive confirmation, and the preview (request form) shows Due date as a required field.

However, Jira has me playing a game of whack-a-mole:

• If I add the field to the issue view, it disappears from the request view.
  • When I add it back to request view, it is not required.
  • When I add/require it on request view, it disappears from issue view.
  • When I navigate away, thinking I have saved it to both views, then return, Jira has removed the field from one/both views.

This is looking more and more like a bug in request types. Assuming it's not, can anybody initiate me into the secrets of being able to add Due date as a required field to a request type, in both request and issue views? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Dan.Napolitano when modifying the layout of a request, a field can only be added to either the "Request form" or "Issue view". BUT the field can still be visible when viewing the issue after creation, as long as the field has been added to the View/Edit screen of the associated issue type.

When modifying the request type layout, in the bottom right of the screen under the list of available fields you'll see a link titled "Make existing fields available".

• Click that while modifying the "Request form" layout, and it will open the create screen for the related issue type.
  • Click that while modifying the "Issue view" layout, and it will open the view/edit screen for the related issue type.
  • Verify Due date has been added to both screens.

Add Due date to the "Request form" layout, make it required and save your changes. When you create a new issue Due date should be a required field on the create screen. After creating the issue, Due date should be visible on the issue in the center of the screen along with whatever other fields were added to the "Request form" layout.

Hey, @Connor , thanks. 

I was able to replicate the anomalous behavior with the Description field. Trying to add it to both views resulted in a whack-a-mole game.

I decided to experiment by ignoring what Jira was showing me. I ensured both these fields were on the request view, ignored the issue view, and then entered an experimental ticket in my new project.

Result: I was able for an actual ticket to see both these fields in the issue view, and update them, despite Jira indicating they were not part of the issue view. 

Looks like a bug to me. Either Jira should automatically inherit them into that view from the request view or, if this is the intent of a confusing UX, at least add some kind of onscreen hint for the configuration screen that such fields will be carried over to the live issues. 

So I couldn't get the settings area to behave, but the live issues work as needed.

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Dan.Napolitano it's not actually a bug, Atlassian has designed it so a field can only be added to the "request form" or "issue view" but not both. Their intention is that the "request form" is for customers submitting an issue, so all of the available fields don't necessarily need to be added to it. While the "issue view" is what your agents view while working the issue, and so you might configure it to contain additional fields that would only be relevant to your agents.

When you're modifying the "issue view" layout, Atlassian has placed one little blurb at the top that states 

Fields in the request form are automatically visible in the issue view.

I've taken a quick scan through their documentation relating to these layouts, and didn't see that mentioned anywhere. So it could be argued that Atlassian should update their documentation to ensure that behavior is explicitly stated. Here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to.

JSM-Modfiy-IssueView.png

Like Thomas Gavin likes this

@Connor very helpful, thanks.

If I overlooked that disclosure, either it's my bad or perhaps Atlassian should make it more prominent. Either way, the great thing about a user error is, it's usually the easiest issue to correct. Appreciated.

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2023

No problem, it's an easy one to miss and I agree that Atlassian should state it more clearly in their documentation. When you have a moment please mark my answer as accepted :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events