Jira Error - This service projects has configuration problems and may not work as expected.

Sheree MacNinch January 23, 2021

I am new to Jira and we had some help implementing a new Jira Service Management (Cloud) project.  After the implementation, I have removed the account that was licensed to create the project.  I now get the error that there is a configuration problem.  "This service projects has configuration problems and may not work as expected."  I can click on the link to view error details and repair the problem.  The window pops up for Some problems need your attention, and to select another user.  (The user to run automation rules is misconfigured  Automation rules run as a specific user. The user selected to run these rules no longer exists or does not have sufficient permissions anymore, so automation rules have stopped running.)

When I click the select another user link, There are no other accounts available for me to choose.  and in orange it says "The selected user does not have permission to perform this action."  I can only choose cancel.

My implementation is new and there is no known Legacy automation features.

In Automation, there are no rules that show the deleted account as Owner.  Owner typically shows as "Automation for Jira".

How do I resolve the configuration problem.

I appreciate any help you can provide on this.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sheree MacNinch January 25, 2021

Answer from Support was to Type in the User account name that you want to attribute the automation rules to run under.  I mistaking typed my own name so now it works.  Unfortunately it would have been better to type in the Automation account.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

@Sheree MacNinch -

Great that you got answer from Support.  Where do you type in the user account name in the UI?  

I would like to know.  My replies should be exactly what support told you "Changing the default user account executing the AUTOMATION".

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2021

@Sheree MacNinch -

I agreed with @Bastian Stehmann .  Here is where in JSD automation configuration that you can manage the default user who executes the automation events for your specific JSD Project.

From Project settings > Access "Automation" section.  Click on "Change default event user".  In the pop-up, select the your specific user.  NOTE - The user must have an agent license and part of the Service Desk Team or Administrators project role.

2021-01-23_15-28-19.png

2021-01-23_15-28-39.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

I can't seem to find...
From Project settings > Access "Automation" section.  Click on "Change default event user".

JiraAutomation1.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

What do you see if you click on the ... button?

Don't know if Atlassian updated their UI...  We are on on-prems and not CLOUD.  However, this should be the same for both on-prems and CLOUD.

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

@Sheree MacNinch -

Just found this link from Atlassian for JSM 4.14 version - https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/automating-your-service-project-939926334.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, it talks about setting the event user.  It gives you more details.

Best, Joseph

JiraAutomationButton2.png   Edited:   To show 3 dots menu.

I think the button you see is Create rule.

Here is the screen shot of the errorJiraAutomationError1.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

Can you change the project lead for the specific project in question?  Because by default the automation is run as the project lead (essentially the one who created the project in the first place).  

The person must be either in project's Administrators or Service Desk Team role. (User with agent license)

Best, Joseph

That is the issue I believe. The creator is the account that I had to delete. 

Is there a way to change to project lead?

I can change it to one of 3 Service Desk Team / Administrator account. 

I appreciate the support, Sheree

To clarify, I don't see where to change the project lead.

OK, I have figured out where to set the project lead, (Projects/ProjName/Project settings
Details).  The Lead is not the deleted user, it is the account that has permissions as both Service Desk Team and Administrator.

So this does not seem to be the root cause.

Any other suggestions?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

Can you check to ensure the project lead is has agent license?

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

Go to the Clog symbol and select "Application"

2021-01-23_23-06-34.png

Then, Click on the # used associated to Jira Service Desk to check if the project lead is there or not.  If not, you will need give the project an agent license.

2021-01-23_23-07-13.png

NOTE - We are on-prem (Data Center), so you may need to submit a formal support ticket with Atlassian for assist further if you are using JSD Cloud env.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

Hi @Sheree MacNinch ,

Welcome to the community. 

Do you have any users assigned to the servicedesk-team role and do this customers have Jira Service Management Access?

If not, give at least one user this permissions. You should be able to choose that user then.

In the project settings in the automation menu, there is the user that runs the rules at the top of the screen, I think.

In Projects / CFO Service Desk / Project settings
People
I have  "Service Desk Team"  - 7 members (3 of those are also Administrators)

But under System, Edit Default Members for Project Role: Service Desk Teams there were no Default users or default groups. Adding the person with Service Desk Team / Administrator (SDT/A) permissions did not present anyone in the list to choose from either.

I tried adding an administrator group to the Assign Default Groups to Project Role: Service Desk Team but that did not help either.

My group jira-servicedesk-users says Group Access to Jira Service Desk and also says 

Group access
Jira Service Management
User access (Default access group)

In the Project Settings, Automation section there is are a number of Rules but they are either Automation for Jira or myself.  nothing at the top of the screen there (Cloud).  

Harendra Singh December 5, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events