Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Jira Email Helper Not Working

We have setup a Jira Service Desk project and added all internal staff as customers. Theses customers also have Jira licenses.  I am the admin of the project. 

Currently staff sends an email for a service requests to a common Outlook 365 IT Inbox. We want/need to allow staff to email the IT Inbox and have the Jira Email Helper pull it and create a service ticket.  

When I send an email to the IT Inbox, the Jira Email Handler does pick it up and create an issue, however it does not send me a 'issue creation' email notification.

When an internal user (someone who is already in the project as a customer) sends an email to the IT Inbox, the Jira Email Handler does not pick up the email and create an issue, nor send a create issue notification.

If we use the Jira Service Desk generated email and send a request via email or through the email form, everything works.

1.) I know the Jira Email Handler works because it works when I submit an email request. (maybe because I am the admin)

2.) The Jira Email Helper does not work when an internal staff (customer) sends an email request.

3.) Everything works perfectly when/if anyone used the Jira Service Project created email or form.

Any thoughts or insight?

Terry

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Leader May 25, 2022

Hi @Terry Middleton ,

I assume that the "IT inbox" email is setup as your custom email request handler (project settings > email requests). Here are a few things I am interested to check:

1. For the individual that is sending email when issue is not created please check the email logs - project settings > email requests > view logs. What does the failure tell you?
  2. can you verify that the user is indeed listed as a Customer
  3. i assume the user isn't also configured as an agent?
  4. can you please check the notification scheme for Issue created and assess if you get notified?
  5. can you check the Customer notifications under project settings for issue created to ensure it is enabled?

@Jack Brickey  - thank you for your reply.

No, the "IT inbox" is not setup from inside the project.  It is at the Jira System level.  Jira > Administration > Application Settings > Jira > Incoming Mail.

The reason I did not setup the custom email request handler in the project was because in the documentation, it says (maybe I misunderstood) that it will delete all the emails after reading them in.  We can not have this.

A.) not all emails going to the common "IT inbox" are to create service issues, and 

B.) Until I get this working, I need to keep the emails alive.

When we use the project's email channel (form), or send an email directly to that the project created email address, everything works perfectly.   

The problem is that our install staff send requests to the common "IT inbox".  

I would agree with common sense that would suggest everyone just start sending requests to a different address or use the Jira Project Email Channel form, which we may end up having to do, however for the sake of keeping our internal processes the same, I need to allow the internal staff to keep sending requests to the "IT inbox".

If you know that Jira DOES NOT delete all the emails after reading them in from the customer email handler at the project level, that I will absolutely try that.  No sure why it deletes the emails, but that is the reason I chose to create the Email Handler at the Jira System level.

Terry

Jack Brickey Community Leader May 25, 2022

Ah, so you must use the JSM email handler not the JSW/JSM email handler. At least if you want it to work properly.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

161 views 0 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you