JSM US and EU data segregation

Deleted user August 25, 2022

Hello Community,

I would really appreciate some advice on this case.

It is regarding a medical device company that provides customer support for users of these devices via JSM. Users that are reaching out are typically located in the US or EU. It is understood that our JSM setup does not specify the exact region where the data of the tickets is stored. 

Customers require a variety of compliance safeguards for data associated to their members (US users):

• Any Protected health information of US members needs to be stored on US servers

• Only customer support agents with residency/nationality in the US may respond to such requests

Customers in the EU ask for the same but on EU soil.

Here my questions come:

• Have you had cases yourselves segregating EU and US data?

• Is it possible to change the current setup of JSM in a way that it routes support tickets from EU to a EU server and from US to a US server? 

• What would be the easiest/fastest way to achieve this (need to set up two support email addresses/ need to establish an entirely new JSM infrastructure vs. using a EU/US Projects)?

This is what I have found so far, but don't have any idea on how to do this myself: 

https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency/

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ,

If I understand your question correctly, what you want can't be achieved with JSM.  The data residency only applies to some of the data in JSM.  Explicitly excluded are "Customer accounts" data, see https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency/ under In-scope product data - Can't be pinned.

Anyway, even if data is pinned, it can be cached and/or in transit in any location (see All products - Can't be pinned).

So, it seems like we need a separate JSM project to achieve this? Thanks

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

No, you can't keep customer data / account data in the EU.  It is stored in the US, even with EU data residency settings.

Sorry, I was unclear - what I mean is to create a separate JSM projects with a second one pinned to US server and totally separated configuration. This one seems possible, am I right?

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

No.  Even with 2 JSM projects you have the following:

1. JSM with US data residency and customer / account data in US
  2. JSM with EU data residency and customer / account data in US

So, however you do it, part of the data will be stored in the US.  The data residency is more about the ticket contents than about personal data like customer and/or account data.

Ok, now I understand. Thank you very much for the clarification.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events