So, I did not make this change from Waiting for Customer to Waiting for Support. I have checked Automation and all Rules are set with Jira Automation as the Actor - so not Automation. My Post functions all seem to be the generic functions from when we set up the Workflow. Other thoughts on what could have caused this?
The only thing that happened was Jason changed the Assignee from Unassigned to himself.
as long as Automation could be ruled out as the source of the transitions only two things come to mind:
In case this happens on a recognizable pattern I'd guess it is 1.), in case it is completely random it could be connected to idea 2.)
For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events