Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Confluence page restrictions

Bhargavi April 21, 2021

We have confluence Pages which are linked to Jira project.On the Pages we have restrictions on view for certain people.

Now in Jira we want all our internal team to access the KBA under Jira Knowledge base section.However the restricted pages on confluence are not visible to our users in Jira.

Is there a way to enable restrictions limited to confluence but not applicable to Jira.So that all internal users can access the KBA.

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2021

Hi @Bhargavi 

I understand that you have Jira Service Management Data Center and are trying to setup a knowledgebase integration with Confluence.  From the way you have described this problem, it sounds like you have a group of users that can view these pages in Confluence, but these same users cannot view these same restricted pages in the knowledgebase.

I would like to try to learn more about what steps you have taken to sync the userbases between these two applications.  It might help to review all the steps we have over in Guide to link Knowledge Base to Jira Service Management for unlicensed user. This explains how we expect the most common setup for making this integration work in the server/data center platforms. 

It sounds like the user account here might be different somehow between Confluence and Jira.  You mentioned this user has a group membership in Confluence only.  However in my own setup I have Jira as a user directory in Confluence.  In my setup, the users are synced over, as well as the group memberships.  In my setup the group memberships are actually managed from within Jira directly.  Which makes me curious if perhaps these are different user accounts in your case (is the username exactly the same between applications?). 

I am also interested to learn the details of your application link here.  You can look this up from either Jira or Confluence here if you are an administrator there.  The setting of the application link will be either OAuth or OAuth (impersonation).

Let me know.

Andy

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2021

Hello @Bhargavi,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When linking a Confluence space to a Jira Software project, only Jira users that also have a Confluence license and also with permission on the Space and individual pages will be able to see and access the pages.

The permissions to view pages in Jira will depend on the permissions in Confluence. If the user doesn’t have permission in Confluence, they also won’t have permission to view the pages in Jira.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Bhargavi April 23, 2021

Hi Luz,

Thanks for your response.

I understood all the points what you shared.But my issue here is,

1.Consider user A who belongs to Group abc in Confluence.

2.I have 4 pages with no restriction.But there is a Page xyz of my space which is restricted for only users who belongs to Group abc.No one else can view it.

3.Now user A has project access in Jira.

4.In Jira Knowledge base section,user A can see only 4 pages which are not restricted.Being the member of the group abc In confluence,my user A is not able to see the page in Confluence.

Whats going wrong in this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 23, 2021

Thank you for the details, @Bhargavi.

Testing on my local site, there are some restrictions in Confluence that make the pages not visible in Jira, even if the user can view it in Confluence.

Are there any restrictions on the Space or only on the Pages?

Do they have permission only to view the pages in Confluence?

Bhargavi April 26, 2021

Hi Luz,

Space has no restriction.But few pages has restrictions.For that pages I have access in conflunece being the member of that respective group.

Even for me I am not able to view them in jira except the unrestricted pages.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2021

Hi @Bhargavi,

I see that you created this question with a Cloud Free site, so there are no restrictions on the pages. 

Are you using the same site you added when created the question or are you using Standard Plan?

I tested here using the Standard plan and I wasn’t able to replicate the issue. I restricted some pages for confluence-users only and I was able to view it with a simple user account that has access to Confluence and Jira Software without admin permissions. 

Since I’m not sure if you are using the Free site, I also would like to confirm if the knowledge base you mentioned is on a Jira Software project or a Jira Service Management project.

Bhargavi April 26, 2021

This is not an Cloud free site.I am trying it on Data Center instance

Bhargavi April 26, 2021

And in Jira this is a service desk project type

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2021

Thank you for the information, @Bhargavi.

I work mostly with Cloud products and I can confirm that users can access the pages in Service Management even if it’s restricted on Confluence. 

Jira and Confluence Data Center is not my area of expertise, so I’m checking with engineers that work with DC to check what is the expected behavior.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events