Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to control who can integrate JIRA with external apps?

Ashraf B November 18, 2021

Any user having a valid MS Office 365 Account of our company and user license in JIRA can integrate Excel with JIRA SM. How can we control this access?
Please suggest.
Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Hi @Ashraf B

From Jira, the User needs to Jira Admin or Site Admin. 

From MS Office, the User needs to have a license.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Ashraf B November 18, 2021

Thanks @Pramodh M
Your response suggests ways to integrate and connect.
I wanted to know how to control this. I mean is there a way to prevent / deny any licensed JIRA user from integrating it with Excel or any other app?
Regards,
Ashraf

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

It's what Pramodh said, only Admins can configure integrations.  Or at least the apps and settings that allow for them.

Ashraf B November 19, 2021

Yeah @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
That's the security concern. For e.g. some users (and they are not Admins) have official Office365 id and JIRA licenses. Using this they can access / fetch / download / use / share any JIRA data into Excel even though they are not authorized to do so...
How can we plug this?
Regards,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Ok, there's a slight problem here.

Your people ARE authorised to use that data - you've explicitly said they have Jira licences, so they can see it.

The problem of data going to the wrong place is not something you can solve - you've given people access to that data, you need to get them not to share it.  Blocking a download to excel is not going to stop them sharing it - they can read it, so they can download it.  In fact, to read it, they ARE downloading it.

Ashraf B November 19, 2021

I thought if I could achieve it something like this:

1. I've implemented Issue Security, so they can view and work on only the Issues / Tickets assigned to them.

Now,
2. If there's a way to plug / control the integration, they will not be able to integrate Excel with JIRA and hence they cannot fetch / download the data; and

3. If I disable "Filter --> Advanced Issue Search", they cannot fetch / download data from JIRA either.

So, while "1" is in place, but I'm not getting any method to implement "2" and "3"

Regards,
Ashraf

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2021

I think you might be missing the point here.

Let me put it a different way.

What problem are you trying to solve by making it harder for people to read data that they can see?

Ashraf B November 20, 2021

It's not about stopping people from reading what they see. It's about preventing them from accessing someone else's data and downloading it without authorization...

Let me explain this:

User-1 - has access to Issues / Tickets assigned to him - should be able to view those tickets and work on it within JIRA - that's his data - no constraints; 

User-2 - has access to Issues / Tickets assigned to him - should be able to view those tickets and work on it within JIRA - that's his data - no constraints; 

But, using the Filter --> Advanced Issue Search and Excel integration, users can see and download their data AS WELL AS other users' data

Secondly, if the users have been given a system to work on, they need not access / download the data through any other integration. 

Hope I could explain the purpose...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2021

Ok, you're still missing the point.  I'll simplify it more:

What problem would you solve by stopping people downloading the data?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events