Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add custom fields to the Component Entity?

Harry Weening May 14, 2021

Looking for a way to capture additional relevant information on a component.  This would enable us to:

1. Improve information we provide to 1st level support

2. Capture all relevant contact / key personnel connected to a component in addition to the component lead (e.g. Business Owner, Support Vendor, Hosting details, etc.

Putting all this information in the description field is less than ideal.

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

@Harry Weening -

Hi Harry:

Out of the box, I don't believe you can create custom fields associated with Component/s entry.  One possible option is to create custom field(s) for your JSM issue and use either Automation for Jira or customize your WF (i.e. post function call at issue creation time) to populate those custom field(s) based on a Component entity match.

This way, you can trace those information against your issues associated with a specific component.  Thus generated the necessary collolation.  The only drawback is that one issue can be associated with one or more components.  If only a single component is assigned to an issue, then it is simple.  On the other hands, it will be very complex to customize my suggested option.

You may also want to search Marketplace add-ons to see if there are any 3rd party vendor product that can provide you with the ability to associate custom fields directly with component entity.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS