Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to validate date fields in the customer portal

Kimi Nakashima January 23, 2020

I just discovered today that customer's can enter dates and times in the date fields on the customer portal that are in the past. For example, they can request a due date that has already passed.

Does anyone know if there is a way to either make it so they can't pick a date/time later than the current time or warn them that they are picking a past date? Also similar is there a way to validate against a date/time, for instance not allow them to enter a due date that's within an hour of the current time?

2 answers

0 votes
Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

Hi Kimi

You could look at ProForma which gives you the ability to put validations on the customer portal question fields.  That would solve your issue.  It would also give you the ability to allow the customer to edit the fields post submission if an error is made.  (subject of course to agent permission).  There is a free version on the marketplace - ProForma Lite so that may assist.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219499/proforma-lite-forms-checklists?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Just to be upfront, I am from the ProForma team. 

Many thanks

Kimi Nakashima January 27, 2020

@Kate Caldecott Coincidently, we happen to be running a trial of the server version of ProForma. (We're running a trial of JSD server and ProForma is one of the apps we're looking at). I saw where you can set a date validation, but I was wondering if it's possible to validate it against the current date as opposed to a set date. Or validate against the current date plus one day.

Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

Hi @Kimi Nakashima 

Unfortunately you can only set earliest and latest date as parameters.  It is a good idea though which we will take on board.  We should allow users to specify either an exact date, or a relative date (i.e. 3 weeks from the current date).  Thanks for giving us that as a suggestion and I am sorry that we could not be assist in this scenario.  Please feel free to reach out as needed.

Marshall Curtis May 14, 2022

Nearly two years later I see we have a feature request JSDCLOUD-10703 

It seems obvious that when creating a form that most references on the form should be relative.  Otherwise, there is little value in the validation.  As soon as I set a date it's no longer valid.  e.g. New user requests must allow 3-business days.  So the earliest start date is three days from the date the user is completing the form.  As it currently is I would need to have user call the Service Desk ask them to update the form so that they can complete it.  Really?

BTW the concept of relative is quite new, in was introduced in LOTUS 1-2-3 (circa 1980s)

Like Brian Baker likes this
Kimi Nakashima January 24, 2020

@Lenin Raj Yeah, in my research I came across those as well, but unless I'm understanding things wrong, they only cover validating in workflow transitions. I don't even want it to get that far. I'd like for the customer to not even be able to make the request if they don't fill in the correct information. It's a pretty standard thing in most online forms out there. FedEx doesn't let you choose yesterday as a ship date, why would I want my customers to be able to choose yesterday as a due date. Waiting until the issue is created wastes time and effort. Instead of a quick little error message coming up when they try to send (like the required fields) my customers won't get notified of their mistake until after the issue is created and if they're not watching their inbox, may not see it until it's too late. I'm not asking to be able to validate all the fields in the customer portal requests (although that would be awesome) I just want to make it so the customer can't put in a request date that's before the current date.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events