Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to transfer values from Linked assets field to new Insight object custom field?

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

I have performed the migration from Insight Cloud to Insight in Jira Service Management, as described within this documentation. At the bottom of that documentation there's a blurb that states:

If you would like to run automation at some future point, to transfer the values from your old Asset type configuration field to your new Insight object custom field, you should ensure that your request type contains both fields.

I have created my custom Insight object fields and added them to the layout of my request types. Now I'm trying to determine if it's possible to automate copying the object values from the previous "Linked assets" field into my new custom Insight object fields. I've previously used the answers from this community question to populate the "Linked assets" field, but that requires already knowing the Insight Cloud object value that I wanted to use. Those values are also formatted as com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.insight/####_##, and seemingly not usable within the new Insight object fields.

I've tried using the Edit issue action and the additional fields option like so:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_XXXXX": "{{issue.customfield_YYYYY.value}}"
}
}

But that fails with an error that the data was not an array. 

From my testing it appears the new Insight object fields work better with smart values as you're able to pull the attrribute values from a JSM Insight object. Which leads me to believe if I can pull an attribute value from an Insight Cloud app object, I would be able to use that value to populate the new custom Insight object field. For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to do that, and at this point it doesn't seem possible to do, and so I've hit a wall.

Has anyone managed to transfer this data between fields? Is it not possible yet? Am I way overthinking this and there's an easier way?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Edwin Stol February 11, 2022

Hi @Connor

Atlassian published a KB-article recently that might help you in the right direction:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/workarounds-to-automatically-link-the-insight-object-to-jira-issues-1079345661.html

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2022

Hi Edwin, thank you for linking that KB article. The workaround 1 using automation is the exact type of solution I had been looking for. Unfortunately it's too late for me, I ended up painstakingly manually editing issues, to remove the old asset object from the "Linked assets" field and adding the new objects to the new Insight custom fields I had created. Luckily we hadn't been using the Insight Cloud app for too long, so I didn't have too too many issues to edit.

I'll accept your response as the answer as it could definitely help someone out who's in the position I previously was.

Like Edwin Stol likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events