Is it possible to save a filter with out an end result

Nicholas_Hladuniw February 4, 2021

I am looking to create a filter to search a custom field however, i don't want to put anything after the = so that i can go back at anytime to put in the criteria that i am looking to search on.

Is there a way to do this, as currently trying to save the JQL Filter says it needs to have the end result to save it.

Would be nice to save it empty so this can be used as a Custom Search text.

I have tried to use the Jira search but it only will return items that were in a text field.

Currently i have my filter as [Custom Field] = XXXX

I would like to try to have it as [Custom Field] = 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

@Nicholas_Hladuniw

No, you cannot do that. You cannot do that.

Is this custom field a Select list field?

Thanks,

Kian

Yes, it is a drop down list of various items.

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

One option you might consider is saving the filter <CUSTOMFIELD> is not EMPTY. Once that is saved, you could create a dashboard and use the gadget issue statistics to show how many tickets are in each value of the select list. That way you can always see which options are being used, and by clicking on the option it'll perform a search for those tickets for you.

In my case, I create a custom field called "Select List" and set some tickets to use values from it. I created a filter, saved it, and then added the Issue Statistic gadget to my dashboard.Here's what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.13.18 AM.png

By clicking on one of the values, I get a custom search for just that value:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.13.24 AM.png

Like Nicholas_Hladuniw likes this

Thank you that was helpful.  I ended up saving my filter as <Custom Field> = Empty 

Then when i go into the saved filter, i just change empty to the criteria I am looking for.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events