Is it possible to restrict the customers visible to individual service agents?

Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold January 7, 2021

Hi everyone,

I have a service desk where I need any user to be able to create tickets via e-mail, however I'm seeing that this also opens up for a full list of all customers across all service desks in my jira installation. I am using Jira Server. 

I need to give one particular service desk agent to this particular service desk, and I need to limit this particular service desk agent's access to the full customer list. 

The only one I have been able to achieve this so far, is to change the customer permission to "Customers who are added to the project", but this then disables the ability to create a service desk ticket via e-mail if you're not already an existing customer added to that particular service desk. 

Anyone who has an idea on how this could be achieved?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Hi @Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold
from what I understand you want to limit customers to specific projects.
There is a Suggestion open with Atlassian which unfortunately gained no real traction:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-6885

It reads:

Our desire would be to have the users/Customers from Project A created in project and NOT in projects B-F[ ... ]

You are happily invited to vote and watch the issue in case the description matches your need.
As the Suggestion is mostly empty I can not judge if this will be of help, in that specific case.

In case you meant something else please let us know here.

Cheers,
Daniel

Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold January 11, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

That is actually not specifically what I want. 

I want to have a service desk, where any customer can raise a request, also via e-mail without existing in the service desk already.

However, in this public service desk, I want to remove the section "customers", so that all service agents are not presented with a ready-made list of all our customers, across all service desks. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

It's possible we got it wrong. Your initial description and the latest requirement seem to contradict each other a bit.

Do I now understand you correctly you want to see a relationship between an Agent and one or more specific customers as per (Service Management) project?

Like this?
Project: VIPHELP
|- Agent "jdoe" sees customers: agrant@example.org (but not cowens@megacorp.tld, dee@star.tld)
|- Agent "bob" sees customers: agrant@example.org, cowens@megacorp.tld, dee@star.tld
|- Agent "alice" sees customers: dee@startup.tld (but not cowens@megacorp.tld, agrant@example.org)
|- Agent "casi" sees customers: <nothing>

Could you probably provide a screenshot/mockup how it should look in the end if this is still not what you are looking for?

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

Hello @Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold 

You are using a server version, right?

To limit Service Desk Visibility you need this add-on

Extension for Jira Service Management 

It has a great feature "Visibility of Customer Portal" and many other great features.

Visibility of Customer Portal 

BR, Olga

Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold January 8, 2021

Hi @Olga Videc 

Thanks for the quick reply. This doesn't meet my requirement since I'm not looking to do anything to the Customer Portal. 

I need to limit the Customers visible to a particular Service Agent in the actual Service Desk Project. If I set the "Customer Permissions" in my Service Desk to "Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal", every Agent has a list of all customers and users in the Jira service desk. 

It is this particular section: 2021-01-08 10_25_56-Customers - Service Desk.png

If this can be achieved with the plugin, please let me know how.

edit: It is a server installation yes :)

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

Hello @Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold 

I understand.

If you are referring to  "I need to limit this particular service desk agent's access to the full customer list" 

You want to limit the "customer list" to a particular agent that's a tricky one.

Here is a similar question.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Hiding-customer-list-in-Jira-Service-Desk/qaq-p/1005065

But, why did I mention Service Desk Visibility, if anyone can raise a request there, then everyone can see it in your customer portal, and raise a request, everyone who has access to your service desk, agent, or customer will know this service desk exists.

BR, Olga

Silas Alexander Lykke Rosenskjold January 8, 2021

Hello @Olga Videc 

I'm aware that if anyone can raise a request, then it's visible to all agents who raised the request. But that's still not the same as providing a full list of existing customers in our multiple service desks to each individual service desk agent :) 

In the link you provided, what is achieved is simply hiding the menu point, but the menu itself is still accessible by simply providing the correct URL. What I'm looking to achieve is hiding the actual customer list. 

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2021

I understand your problem, natively is not possible.

The only clue I found is this, you could try editing source code.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Hiding-customer-list-in-Jira-Service-Desk/qaq-p/1005065

I understand this is frustrating, the only thing I can advise you is to create a request with Atlassian.

BR, Olga

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events