Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to process issues from external customers without allowing them portal access?

David Quiram January 5, 2023

We currently use our JSM portal for an internal company helpdesk. We are starting a project where we will have external volunteers working in one of our applications. 

We want these volunteers to only be able to email our helpdesk if there is some issue they are encountering. We do not want them to be able to access our helpdesk portal as they would then have access to all the different request types we have setup. 

Is it possible to allow email intake of issues without enabling portal access? In all my research and testing, it doesn't look like this is possible? If this is indeed not possible, are there any feature requests for this functionality?

Bonus Question: If the above is not possible, what would be your suggestion for handling this situation? 

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2023

Hi @David Quiram,

As per this KB article, it is not possible to disable the portal. The article describes a workaround based on hiding available request types from the portal.

The downside of that approach is obviously that those request types will not be visible to your internal users anymore, which is most likely not what you want.

The easiest way to overcome this, is probably to set up an additional JSM project with only an email request type configured that you use only for the intake of tickets by email from your volunteers. 

Hope this helps! 

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2023

@David Quiram -

I agreed with what @Walter Buggenhout stated.  One should setup a separate project to achieve what you wanted to do.  It is not ideal, but it is the best workaround at this time.

You can also submit an enhancement request for what you wanted to Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com).  It will be up to them to fulfill your ask in the future development.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Gregg Neilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2023

I'm looking to do a similar thing re. external submission but would ideally like to do this via a webform (with a linked form inc. conditional formatting etc.) to send through to the portal backend, rather than via email.

There will only be one request type associated with this project and hoping that the form can be linked or (ideally) embedded to an external website to be submitted by external customers.

@Joseph Chung Yin @Walter Buggenhout 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2023

@Gregg Neilson - 

In the FORM's configuration, you can enable the Create new issue option and copy the custom URL in your external website for customer to create issue against your JSM project.

2023-12-06_15-10-31.png

Hope this helps.  If so, please click on "Accept answer" when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Gregg Neilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 6, 2023

Thank you @Joseph Chung Yin 

I tried this with the link under the Create new issue option:

CaptureA.JPG

When I use this link, as second link appears at the top of the page for embedded forms on Atlassian sites:

CaptureB.JPG

In both instances, I am diverted to a login page so don't think this will work on the external site...I can't expect (and don't want) every customer to create an account before submitting a request:

Screenshot_20231207.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2023

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events