Is it possible to assign task to the team not to the person?

Vugar Jafarov November 18, 2020

We would like to assign a task to the Team. 

I already created a team.

3 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

In a word - No. There are a lot of posts in the Community and I recommend you use the search bar to seek these discussions out. 

Basically, Jira is designed to have single accountability for issues which doesn't work well when you assign a single issue to a team. Rather break the task into subtasks and assign to individuals. There are some posts on how you can do this for cases like Paired programming. Basically, you create a custom filed to define the team and either leave the Assignee unassigned or maybe assign to the 'lead'. There are other work-arounds you could consider too, e.g. use of Components, etc. With JSM you can create Team queues and filter the issues into those queues as well,

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

I would also advise against it - like Jack (and others, in different threads) already said. The approach from Paul is also very neat.
The quick and dirty solution (which should not be considered except for some very special corner cases) would be to create a user (named by the team) and assign it with a mailing list of the team.

The huge drawback I personally see for this scenario from real-life is that as soon as something like "Team_Accounting" or "DevPro" is listed in Assignee staff either claims:

"ah, well this is not me - let's see if somebody else takes it" OR

"DevPro - who should that be? I will not check further, more important things to do"

This is why this often kills productivity. I know that it is hard to convince requestors in this regard sometimes.

I also encourage you to read through what is said to that topic here in Community. The request has been raised some times.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

We did this using a custom field (which it sounds like you already have), a queue, and some rules. 

Here's the basic idea:

• Custom drop-down field has the various teams
  • When that field is populated, an automation rule clears the assignee field and sends an email to the team.
  • The queue is configured to show non-closed issues with the team selected in the field. 
  • When a team member takes the issue, an automation rule clears the team value.

There's a little more to it, but that should be enough to get you going.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events