Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible edit an issue from a lookup response?

Antony Delgado December 8, 2020

Hi people!

I want to try something but I couldn't do this, I don't know if it is possible:

1. Create "A" issue.

2. Few hours later is created "B" issue.

3. When create "B" issue is necessary lookup for the "A" issue (lookup function).

4. if "A" issue exists, is necessary to link "B" issue to "A".

I can do 1, 2, 3 steps but 4 step I don't understand how to do it.

Is it possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tanya C December 31, 2020

HI @adelgadox-kvk - I believe you'd have to add some heavy issue parsing to understand which issues are truly related to each other.  From my experience users don't always provide the distinct specifics on a problem and the next person who submits on a similar problem may not provide the same wording etc for an automated 'match' to be made to automatically link the two issues.  Service agents are best to parse the submitted issues to make the true relationships between them.

However, if you have specific fields or component entries that are 'always related' then it's possible but you'd have to set up listeners or scripted post functions to find the known relations to set up the links.  I personally have never used a post function to automatically link one or more issues so I'm sorry I can't provide more on how to proceed.

The question I'm curious about is why is the linking important?  Customers will not be able to see other issues/linked issues unless those are shared with them and the linkage is not something they would see. 

If the agents are trying to group similar issues/problems in the case of a known bug or known service event then maybe having the agents use a specific label identified for such cases may be something to explore.  (labels can be mess tho - so tread carefully.  We use labels like "post-jsm-upgrade-issue" to group submitted issues that seem to be a result of a recent upgrade.  Not pretty - but it helps is find them quickly!

I've often worked with customers who request solutions: 'please we do X'.  However, once we discuss the 'why' or 'what problem are you trying to solve?' the requested solution is completely different from what the actual solution turns out to be.  

I hope the information I've provided helps you.  I'm not a developer so the specifics on how you could parse and script linkage is out of my subject matter area, but I do have loads of experience helping customer solve problems in created ways. 

Cheers - Tanya

Antony Delgado April 27, 2021

Thank you @Tanya C  ! It took me a while to answer because I was traveling. The truth is that the project where I was to solve this could not be implemented and I did not have to solve this. But I fully understood your point about this approach

Thank you very much for the information you shared with me, I will take it into account if in the future I have a challenge like this again.

Like Tanya C likes this
Tanya C April 28, 2021

No worries @adelgadox-kvk - I hope your travels were safe.  Cheers - Tanya

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders