Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possbile to autoclose linked issues after solving problem ?

Pete Blake May 10, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to set up either an automation or workflow whereby when you close a problem, all the associated incidents automatically get closed, preferably with the comments on the problem resolution all being fed into the incidents too.

Is this possible?

I saw this discussed back in 2019 but the solution there does not work for me:  Solved: Is it possbile to autoclose linked issues after so... (atlassian.com)

Thanks

Pete

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

@Pete Blake -

Welcome to the Community.  Yes it is possible (just as described in your 2019 link reference via third party add-ons and Automation for Jira). 

Here are a few things that you need to be aware of...

1) Based on your ask's "PRODUCT PLAN" = Free, it is my understanding that Automation for Jira may not be available for the Free plan.  It is a part of Premium Cloud paid plan.

2) If you have add-ons mentioned in your link, you need to make sure that your trial subscription is still active.

3) When closing associated incidents, you need to make sure that those incidents' WF statuses  all have a transition (in the WF) directly to the CLOSED status.  Otherwise it will not work unless you create custom script to bypass the in between statuses to the CLOSED status.

4) The user who triggered the auto close action have the appropriate permission to close out those incidents (i.e. incidents in a different project).

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Pete Blake May 12, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin - thanks for the response.

I mostly got this working by just reading a lot and making up my own flow.   You're right that you have to consider the WF status carefully - I got caught out by that but solved it.

So far it seems that the Free plan isn't having any sort of impact on my ability to write these automatons.  The only issue there is that I can't write global ones so I have to replicate for each Project.   This is only a PoC so no problem there.

I do have one outstanding issue which I can't figure out:

This is my automation flow:

Automation Flow.png

The bit which fails is the setting Resolution to Done - in the middle.

The Error track says:

Error.png

But the issue in question is a Problem, and definitely does have a Resolution field, which should be able to be set to Done.

Any ideas on that??  Any more info you need?

Thanks

Pete

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Good morning @Pete Blake -

Looking at your automation, you don't need to edit the field RESOLUTION.  This field is typically (default) set as a part of your WF transition via post function.  You need to verify in your WF that resolution population is there in the transition's post-functions and ensure it is set to "Done".

Once it is verified, then remove the edit RESOLUTION field step from your automation setup.  Resolution field should be set in the WF configuration only.

Lastly, Automation rule setup is at the project by project level only.  I am not aware of any functionality where one can create global automation rules.  You may be able to share project configuration when you create new project, thus the automation rule setup can be shared among projects.  However, you will need to test it out.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Pete Blake May 12, 2021

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for your response.  That seems to have solved the problem!

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Pete

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2021

Excellent.  Glad I was able to resolve your ask.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events