Inventory management

roger_alling January 21, 2020

Hello.

I would like to create a simple inventory for my Jira Servicedesk. Basically, we have a IT storage room with computers, monitors, switches ect, and I would like to be able to track what we have, how much of various units, and preferably link the items to a issue. Like if we get a issue in Jira for a new user, I would like to be able to link the equipment they need to the issue, and then have the storage auto-adjust to show that this gear is no longer available. We have a asset management system that unfortunately is very poor at showing whats available but we are using this for linking gear to people and normal asset management, so what I want in Jira is purely for storage monitoring.

Anyone have any experience with setting something like this upp? Any plugins that would cover my needs here? Ive tried Assets and Inventory Plugin for Jira by Snapbyte, but I couldn't find a way to make it make changes to the storage automatically.

In advance, thank you.

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

For Cloud or Server? 

Insight Asset Management would be my choice for Server, I have not yet tested their cloud solution. In server you can do the things you want automatically, but setting it up is quite a lot of work. From a learning perspective then go ahead, but otherwise I would ask if its not easier to just assign the status of that asset when you deliver it rather than building this automation for quite a few total issues? Assigning the asset status manually is easy enough when it is already connected to the issue.  

If you use rules then your process needs to be fool proof or it will soon fail, and I find that this is rarely the case.  

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Hi Roger,

What kind of automation did you have in mind? Are you using any automation apps?

I can only speak for our app STAGIL Assets - Advanced Links which is fully based on native Jira features, so it is working with most apps out of the box. E.g. with automation apps like Automation for Jira, Power Scripts, ScriptRunner.

It also depends on how you can connect Jira to your asset management solution. As far as I understand, you would like to keep your existing solution. Is it possible to access the DB of that system? If yes, you could sync the DB with values in Jira, like the asset's workflow status.

By saying "we are using this for linking gear to people and normal asset management", you should also think about how everything relates to each other. Does the service desk ticket only relate to an asset and this asset gets linked to a person in your separate asset management solution? Or does the service desk ticket already link to a person as well? Should the selected person in the ticket be automatically linked to the asset in your asset management system as well? And so on. With some apps, you can create great solutions for IT asset management incl. user management, etc. But how the solution will look like, depends on many factors.

Best,
Daniel
STAGIL 

0 votes
Shivam Pandey July 21, 2022

Inventory Management is the process of managing the quantity of stock. It identifies which time and quantity of stock are required to order. It ensures enough stock for fulfilling the customer's orders. There are mainly four types of inventory management:

1. Raw Materials

2. Works-In-Process

3. Maintenance, Repair, and Operations (MRO) Goods

4. Finished Goods

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events