Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight cloud - connect assets to users and Service management

Dusan Djokic November 5, 2021

Hi,

We're in the process of migrating our asset management and ticketing service to Jira Service Management with Insight on Cloud.

In various demos, we could see that integration works flawlessly - users can report a broken laptop and it would automatically be changed in Insight. Software and services are also connected to users, etc.

When we try to do something similar, we're having trouble with the documentation - either it's meant for Jira Server version, or it simply isn't there, like adding an asset type configuration - we don't have it in our menus.

So, our main question is - how do we connect Jira Insight assets (laptops) to users in order to automate the process later?

Just a documentation link that works should be fine, but we can't find one.

Thanks!! 

edit: I have the same use case as in this link, but again - I don't know how the ‘Employees’ object type is linked to the Jira user for the employee.

2 answers

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2021

@Dusan Djokic -

Have you tried by adding an "attribute" (type of "User") for your object within an Insight Schema?.

2021-11-05_8-29-28.png

In our env, we have setup this attribute.  Once an asset is tagged with the user, then the asset (link) will show up in Jira/JSM user profile.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin Joseph,

Thanks for the response!

I have tried to do that (screenshots), but I can't see the asset in my profile. Also, as far as I have found, if I do that - I won't be able to connect user to other dependencies in graph view?

Note that we're using Cloud version, maybe this works for Data center? 

Best, 

Dusan

Snip20211105_8.pngSnip20211105_9.pngSnip20211105_11.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2021

Yes, we are on DC.  I would recommend that you file a support request to Atlassian Support for this issue with user profile.

My other thoughts would be for you to create custom fields (sourcing from your Insight) and expose them to your JSM project while keeping what you already done for the new attribute (user type).  At a high level, it will be something like this - one will select the user (asset assignee), and then the other custom field will list out the assigned assets pulling from your Insight Schema.

Lastly, you may want to take a look at this posting... https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Link-Insight-Object-to-JSD-User/qaq-p/1206382

Best, Joseph

Dusan Djokic November 10, 2021

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin , thanks for the help, but I think we cannot do almost any of that - we're on Jira Cloud. It's so frustrating that there is no documentation for the features that are so heavily marketed by Atlassian in their promos, before you go Cloud premium and find out that you can't actually do most of the advanced things :D at least, not easily, even with the help from forums.

Like # people like this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2021

@Dusan Djokic -

As mentioned before, I would recommend that you contact Atlassian Support Team directly for your question. This is properly the best way.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Lisa Grau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2021

Hi @Dusan Djokic , welcome to the community!

Sadly, there is no Insight Documentation for cloud at the moment, afaik.

You can use Insight Custom Fields and Jira automation to connect Insight and the issue. Use the LookupObjects-Action and Edit Insight Object-Action in combination to edit the object.

Hi @Lisa Grau , thanks for your fast response!

It's a shame that there isn't any documentation for this topic, we'll try to figure it out but it's a real dealbreaker for Premium Service Management cloud version.

The main pain point for us now is - how to create Employees as objects which are synchronised with existing Jira users (internal, company employees), so that we can assign assets to them? Like in this example here https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/working-with-objects-1044784539.html

Can you help or point us to any resource that could help us?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events