Incoming mail troubleshooting in Service Management project

Erik Vanderstraeten November 20, 2020

We enabled channel "email support@xxxx.atlassian.net" for customers.
This works, but not 100% of the time.

For example: when a customer sends a mail with a colleague in CC that is not added to our project's Customers yet, this person will not be added as Request Participant.  (which happens if the CC'ed person is a Customer in the project.)
Result: the CC'ed people will not know about the ticket, nor get any updates on it.

How can we know if such things (like processing of mail addresses in the original mail) has failed?  Is there some logging available somewhere?  (or even the original mail)

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2020

Hi @Erik Vanderstraeten 

Unfortunately this isn’t possible. On server you can use the 3rd part add-on Email this Issue to handle this.

Why don’t you solve this by allowing customers to create accounts because this will then automatically create and add the said person in the cc field as a participant?

Regards.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2020

Also for my suggestion, switch the Sharing option found in Project Settings > Customer permissions to ‘customers can search for other customers within their organizations, or manually enter the email address of other customers within their project’.

Regards.

Erik Vanderstraeten November 20, 2020

Thanks for your fast answer, Ismael!

Well, I considered this, but as this means we're opening up our portal for the entire world, I didn't think this was such a good option.

I'm a bit afraid of bots starting to create countless numbers of customers and issues.
Or is there some security built in to tackle this?

Looking forward to reading your insights on this matter.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2020

Hi Erik,

Unfortunately, I am unaware of any other way to fix the above. The issue would be that there is no way for JIRA Service Desk's default incoming mail to store the user's email address.

This is the core issue here.

It is either we allow it to create users when they do not exist and then it adds them as participants or they cannot create the said users at all.

As for is there a way to block bots, once you note a bot, you can disable its account and it will not be able to create new accounts in future. The problem though is the time it takes you to find out it exists, it could have added a lot of users.

Sorry I could not help more.

Regards.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events