Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am trying to get Discovery data from multiple windows servers how do I achieve this?

Cami December 9, 2022

Do I need the entire discovery package on both servers (Discovery file with all the executables)? Or can I have a Discovery Agent on 1 then use the Collector from the other? I currently have the Discovery Tool installed on one windows server and was trying to add a separate IP and use ports to scan the other but it has not been working for me. I have scoured all the Discovery server documentation so I would appreciate no redirects to those but any new information. 

1 answer

1 vote
Luis Machado
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2022

Hi @Cami 

The documentation around Assets (formerly Insight) Discovery is less than stellar for sure.  You are correct in that you should be able to run the discovery tool from one server and point it to an IP range in your network to pull information from multiple hosts. In order for this to function properly, you need to have a user account that can authenticate on the target servers and has permission to access everything and that has to be configured in your Discovery settings.

You are also correct in that the other way you can do this is by installing an agent on any target servers that can report information back to the collector.

If you're running into issues with the Discovery tool accessing an IP range, the 2 first things I would verify are that you have network access and a user account to authenticate on your target instances. There is also logging for the tool but it's not very robust. Feel free to share further your issues here for another pair of eyes.

Cami December 12, 2022

Hi @Luis Machado , thanks for your response. What I have attempted is adding a second scan setting in the discovery settings with the second target ip. I have also added in the credentials in the credentials tab. When I do the evaluation report 1 ping succeeds (the one with the discovery package with the executables) the other fails. Similarly, in the credentials tab when I test the second instance with the credentials and ip I get an error saying that the the connection port 5985 is not reachable. I have opened all ports on the network in AWS so I don't understand why this is the case. Ideally I would prefer not to use the agent if I don't have to. Do you have any suggestions?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events