Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

I want to Restrict a Group members to create the Issues

Hi,

I am having 3 groups which are Service Desk, Supreme Team, Development Team

I want to restrict that when ever the ticket is creating only Service Desk users does have access to create the Incident or Access Request tickets.

Is this possible in Jira ? If yes how it is possible please help me out with the same.

I want to restrict it from the Create issue screen.

1.PNG

Thanks,

1 answer

0 votes

@Sreenadh -

In JSM (out of the box), you will not be able to restrict specific request type issue creation based on groups associated with your project.   There is only one CREATE ISSUE right which is the same for all users who are allowed to create issue in your project.

You may be able to check Atlassian Marketplace to see if there are any third party add-on that can support your ask.

At this time, I recommend you to add yourself as a watch to this outstanding enhancement request - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-195.  It is still being reviewed by Atlassian.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for the response.

Can you please find the attached screenshots which i did as per my understanding.

2.PNG

3.PNG

I want to restrict only for Service Desk Group only.

Is this possible or not ?

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Dec 20, 2022

Yes you can, just adjust your permissions scheme to only allow that group (or even better work with a custom role) to have the "create issue" permission

@Sreenadh -

You cannot.  What about the other assignments called out in your Create Issue permission?.  Your thinking of using WF validator at issue creation is not recommended, it because a user will find out he/she cannot create the issue only after they click the save button trying to create the issue.  

This approach gives a negative UI experiences for the users in my opinion.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin ,

Think you're misreading here, it's not about Request Types but just regular issues from the Create screen.

For Request types it's indeed not possible, for regular issues (agent side) just adjust the permissions scheme

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans 

Could you please elaborate your response and that would be really helpful to me to work on this requirement.

Thanks,

@Dirk Ronsmans 

Think you're misreading here, it's not about Request Types but just regular issues from the Create screen.

For Request types it's indeed not possible, for regular issues (agent side) just adjust the permissions scheme

Please provide me the brief details

Thanks,

@Sreenadh 

From what i understand in your original question you have a few issue types (not request types on the portal) that you want to block for only a single internal team/group to create right?

if so, as you added the screenshots already yourself you can edit the permisisons scheme and remove who you don't want to allow creation of those tickets to not have permissions.

Only issue here (which @Joseph Chung Yin  has a point about) this will block it on the entire project and not just for 2 specific issue types.

So while you can block it depending on whether you use other issue types in your project it might be too blocking

Hi,

From what i understand in your original question you have a few issue types (not request types on the portal) that you want to block for only a single internal team/group to create right?

A)Can we restrict incident tickets creating to service desk team only?(Service Desk Group) any other user/group should not be able to create new tickets. However, other teams (Development, Supreme=Group names) should be able to change the status and can add comments.

Thanks,

@Sreenadh -

For issue creation via the Project UI (not portal UI via request type), I don't believe you can accomplish it out of the box except implement the WF validator setup to prevent anyone who are not a member of the Service Desk group.

However, it will create a negative user experience as non members will fill out the entire create issue screen, and then find out that they cannot create the issues.

I know that in the Data Center on-prems env, one can use Scriptrunner for Jira add-on "Behaviors" component to configure the issue type dropdown based on certain conditions (example - project role assignment based - users in project administrators role can see more issue type listed than users in project developers role etc.)  

However, I don't know if Scriptrunner for Jira vendor "Adaptavist" completed this functionality for the CLOUD env or not.  I know they are working closely with Atlassian team on the development for "Behaviors" component enhancement right now.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for details which is shared to me. i will check the same from my Jira instance what are the possible ways and i will revert you if anything is required.

Thanks,

Sreenadh

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events