How to update Priority field from a custom field in Jira Service Desk

jeffrey.wee October 27, 2021

Hello, 

We are using Jira SM Cloud and the current priority are used on every Jira project. However, I need to create a different priority for our Service Desk. 

The current Priority are set to Highest, High, Medium, Low, Lowest
I have created a custom field called Severity which has entry of Sev-1, Sev-2, Sev-3, Sev-4.

I wanted to make that when a user submit a incident request and select Sev-1 my issue priority will be updated to Sev-1 upon creating the issue to when it triggers on Opsgenie alert it will raised as P1. 

Thanks in advance. 
Jeffrey 

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

@jeffrey.wee why you do not use the Jira automation to do this ?

You can create a structure in automation

Trigger - Issue Create

Conditions

- IF Request Type = Incent and Severity = SEV-1

Action - Edit issue - Priority Highest

And so it goes foward

jeffrey.wee October 28, 2021

@Carlos Faddul , Thank you for the above. However it did not solve my problem which I need to make sure that my Opsgenie alert Priority will be created base on the severity of my Jira Incident ticket.

The above automation works, it did update the priority of the ticket, however the Opgenie alert still get the original priority which is Medium by default.  

Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

@jeffrey.wee  if you have JMWE addon, you can use a post function to trigger before the issue created event, then you opsgenie will receive the correct value to priority notification. :)

jeffrey.wee October 28, 2021

I see, thanks. as much as possible I am trying to get away with installing additional add ons as I notice that every features I wanted to do needs addons :) 

Thanks anyway, let me figure out if I can do some work around on this. 

Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2021

@jeffrey.wee 

I hope I helped you.

If this post was helpful, mark it as Accepted Accepted, so you can help others who may have the same difficulties.

If your question has not been resolved, please post again with more details.

Natalie Bateman January 13, 2022

@jeffrey.wee as I am finding myself in the same predicament, I have an field I need the selection to change the Priority.

Did you find a workaround without the need for an add-on?   

Thanks

Natalie

jeffrey.wee January 13, 2022

@Natalie Bateman You can use the above automation and you will be able to update the priority in your ticket. The only thing to note in this approach is it will always create it with Medium priority so if you have something link to it that capture the initial state of the priority (like for me Opsgenie) then automation might not work for you. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events