How to tell if customer has disabled JSD notifications

CCA Sysadmin August 5, 2020

Hi

We run Jira Service Desk 4.5.1 server and we have a problem knowing whether some customers receive notifications for comments we add to JSD logs.

It is quite important that we have confidence they are receiving notifications, but some customers disable notifications from Jira issues which means they don't receive urgent support updates and requests from us.,

It is difficult for us to know this since the Notification Helper says they should be receiving notifications for comments added to specific JSD logs but they don't because they have disabled notifications. Does anyone know how we can monitor if a customer has disabled notifications? I tried looking at the database schema but it is huge and Atlassian discourage users from trying to use the database directly.

I know the Jira outgoing mail log tells us what emails have gone out - well,. sort of. It contains reams of messages which are fairly opaque.

I have lodged a support request with Atlassian but had no response yet after 24 hours.

Regards

Graham

1 answer

0 votes
Sascha Novakovic August 7, 2020

Hi Graham,

as promised, I took a look and here is what I found out:

Regarding to the documentation:

Choose between making JIRA send you email notifications about issue updates made by either both you and other people (Notify me) or other people only (i.e. Do not notify me)

the user should get E-Mails even if he chose "do not notify me".

I tried it out in our Service Desk instance and the Notification Helper is telling me the same:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-07 um 11.23.24.pngBut, the user never got any E-Mails, although the Issue was updated by the agent.

To my understanding, both the documentation and the Notification Helper is telling me the opposite. So there are two possibilities:

1. I'm misreading the documentation and the Notification Helper

2. It's a bug in Jira / Jira SD

I hope that helps.

Cheers
Sascha

Graham Graham August 7, 2020

Hi Sascha

Thanks very much for looking at it. Further examination showed me the notification scheme did not include notifications to participants. It used to but possibly got accidentally removed . I restored that and bounced JIra and notifications now appear to go out to participants, but I am waiting to see results for a few JSD issues before I declare that part working again.

Regarding customer's notification setting, I managed to get my test customer account working and tested with "Get notifications" vs "Don't notify me" for specific JSD issues and it does indeed not send me notifications if I tell it not to.

I tried turning on SQL logging and switching notifications on and off for my test customer account but I can't see any SQL updates for it, so I don't know where they store it. If I can find the field that JSD uses to record the customer's notification preference then I could monitor it.

I got a reply from Atlassian support where they asked for the full diagnostic kit. If I can't see a way forward by tomorrow I will have to do that.

Regards

Graham

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events