How to set organsation / organization on an issue

Nigel Allen May 16, 2022

Greetings

We have a single project for each customer and have the users of that organisation set up. When they email or enter an issue via the portal it automatically populates the "Organisations" field.

If however, one of the internal team creates an issue for them, either by email or by the portal, "Organisations" is empty.

Given that we "know" the organisation we want (because there is only one organisation per project), and I believe the field is {{issue.Organizations.first.name}}, how do I set this field to a value? Can I just use text in my automation rule to set
{{issue.Organizations.first.name}}  to "Fred Bloggs" or is there another way of achieving this?

Thanks

Nigel.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

@Nigel Allen 

If you are raising a request on behalf of someone the organization will be set by default.  Often agents will use the create button to generate an issue which by passes the service desk features.  I would suggest making a process change with your team and have them properly raise a request for the customer and this will not be an issue.  https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/raise-a-request-on-behalf-of-a-customer/

Nigel Allen May 17, 2022

@Brant SchroederYes, we understand that. I am trying to find a way to set the Organization when one of our team emails a comment on behalf of someone else.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Can you explain what that means.  Are they emailing the service desk on behalf of someone?  If so how are you determining the reporter?

Nigel Allen May 17, 2022

Hi Brant

Apologies for the delay. Yes, They are emailing issues received by email received directly from the customer. Chop any email trail out and extraneous info and just leave the text and then emailing it to the customer's project email address as if they were the customer (but using their own internal email address).

The "reporter" for the issue is attributed to the agent's identity. Happens automagically - not anything we have done.

We get that we need to educate the customer and this will happen. In the interim we're trying to capture everything in the system however we can.

HTH.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

So the agent is the reporter on the emailed issue.   Are you then updating the issue so it has the correct reporter?  At this point you would like to have an automation update the organization?    If this is the case is there a reason they just don't set the organization at the time they set the reporter?

Nigel Allen May 17, 2022

No - we're not updating the reporter - certainly not currently.

However, that was not what my question was. I wanted to know how I could set the Organisation using automation at the point of issue creation if the organisation is blank and I know who the Customer is for any given project.

It's starting to sound a little like "you can't". If we can't it's not a show stopper but I'd like to find out if that is, in fact, the case.

N/

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

@Nigel Allen I am trying to understand the process.  The reporter would have to be a member of the organization in order to set it.  If all your agents who are submitting the issues are part of all the organizations, you know who the customer and the project (service  desk) you could set it by just updating that field.

Nigel Allen May 19, 2022

Nope. The reporter in this case is not a member of the organisation or, for that matter, any of the organisations.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events