Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to raise a ticket, when automation fails (instead of sending mails)?

Ingo Wenke May 23, 2022

In case you have automation rules implemented, you can set 2 roles in the automation rule details:

* the owner

* the actor

Now, you can choose, what should happen in case oaf an error:

* notify rule owner once by e-mail

* notify rule owner for each failure by e-mail

* never notify

So, we have a ticket system for incidents, and, when an incident happens, we jump out of the system and use mail again. It's a bit strange here.

Story:

As a rule admin,

I would like to receiver rule errors as a Jira ticket instead of mail

to have rule incidents in my (jira) backlog and notify my team in case of absence that there is a to do.

Approach:

* add customer "no-reply@automation.atlassian.net" to my portal

* set "Automation for Jira" as rule owner

Result:

Whenever a rule fails, I receive an issue which is generated via the e-mail qeue, send by no-reply@automation.atlassian.net.

Now, I can manage the error notification within Jira without changing the system.

Concerns:

This solution has a break of systems.  The mail system and qeue is used for this workaround. If there might be any issue in the mail system, the notification might be delayed.

Questions:

Is it possible to raise a ticket if automation fails without changing to mail but to stay within Jira?

Or is this solution stable enough because all jobs run inside the Atlassian eco-system?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eric
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2022

Hi @Ingo Wenke 

Thank you for your feedback!

Is it possible to raise a ticket if automation fails without changing to mail but to stay within Jira?

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible. We currently have an open feature request that will allow you to achieve this: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1461.

Or is this solution stable enough because all jobs run inside the Atlassian eco-system?

The general idea seems fine. There is one bit that I'm a little unsure: setting Automation for Jira as rule owners.

Perhaps it's better to define a new customer as the rule owner and use your JSM project default email as the email address for the customer? This way, all error notifications will be sent to your JSM project default email?

Alternatively, you could also use some other email address and then set up a forwarding rule to your JSM project default email.

Eric

Ingo Wenke May 30, 2022

Hi @Eric ,

thank you for the proposal. I've setup a technical user ,our "Bot", for our upmost critical service project automations. It works fine. "Automation for Jira" as rule owner is used for other automations and will be monitored if sth suspicious may happen.

By now, AJ works fine, too.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events