Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find an existing project's template type

Adam Bohil February 22, 2021

Is there a way to find an existing Jira Service Management project's template type?  We created a Service Management (Service Desk) project a long time ago and would like to create a second project of the same template type.  However, we don't remember which template (General Service, External Service, etc.) was used to create the first/existing project.  Is the template used to create a project shown somewhere?

Thanks for a point in the right direction!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Hi Adam, 

I don't believe so. You could look at the Jira objects in the global settings page (the screens, schemes etc) to see whether the names match those from a specific template configuration but these might have been changed. 

The main reason (as far as I am aware) for this is that the template is a starting point for a project but the project might drift very far from that original state and so there is no tethering of the project to the template. 

So, sorry, this is probably not the answer you were hoping for. Could I ask what you need this for? 

Best regards,

Jehan

Adam Bohil February 23, 2021

Thanks for the response, Jehan.

We created a Service Management (Service Desk) project a long time ago and would like to create a second project of the same template type.

Anyway, not a huge deal and probably not applicable to the majority of users.  Would've been nice to not risk picking the wrong template and having to redo.

Appreciate your time!

-Adam

Like Jehan Gonsalkorale likes this
Todd Foley May 2, 2022

If a user must choose a template for a project, we should be able to see it defined in an existing project and make it searchable.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Philippe Franco February 9, 2024

Please fix this, it is very annoying to have to time and time again navigate within those templates when one wants in fact a copy of an existing project('s) template

2 votes
William Wilson September 25, 2023

This is not "solved".

I have a scrum master that was able to get a velocity chart before we migrated from server to cloud. He can no longer get a velocity report. It's a company managed project, and it is not a Kanban board he is using.

On researching, I read: "The velocity chart can only be accessed if you’re using the Scrum project template" - That does not say "scrum board". It says "scrum project template".

Yet, here we are. I know my SM is not using a Kanban board. But I'm not sure what template his project was originally built using, because I was not working for the company at that time.

If you are going to place restrictions on how people can do things. You need to provide tools so that they can effectively troubleshoot why the things are not working as expected. 

At this point, I have NO WAY of knowing if his Velocity reports are not working because of this issue or something else.

Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2023

Hi @William Wilson , I think the original question was resolved, but you raise a good point. I'll share this with the team. 

Best regards,

Jehan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events