cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create opsgenie alert in jira automation for SLA breaching

Ashley Hudson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2023

Heya all,

This particular use case is a little tricky as I haven't yet found any documentation to create Opsgenie alerts when an SLA is breached? But my question is if anyone has created a web request automation that alerts Opsgenie upon an SLA is being breached?

I'm aware of the perhaps the start of the automation but I'm yet to figure out how to effectively use the web requests to send a notification to opsgenie? Any support or documentation on this would be greatly appreciated! :D 

Kind Regards,

Ashley Hudson

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Vidallon March 28, 2023

Hi Ashley, I have done similar setup before. I have used an addon (Time to SLA) and used its own custom event (SLA threshold breached) to trigger the web request. I believe there should be an option as well for "SLA threshold breached) if you're using native Jira SLA.

SLA threshold breached.png

From there, whatever your SLA setup is, add an action to call the opsgenie web api to create an alert in OpsGenie. (https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/alert-api#create-alert)

However, if you prefer to use the OpsGenie settings in escalation, it's limited to 1 day or 1440minutes) for when you use the escalation rules like this:

"if the alert is not "closed" in "x" minutes after creation...

<set your actions on who to notify>

Use this only if you consider your Jira issue closed when OpsGenie alert is closed. OpsGenie escalation rule.png

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2023

Hi Ashley,

Just curious why you would need to notify Opsgenie for the SLA breach and not just a regular Automation notification. 

Majken Longlade March 15, 2023

We're looking to do this as well. Our reason is that if the SLA is breached we want to escalate to people who use Opsgenie for their paging. Our front-line agents don't use Opsgenie and we're using automation to ping them on Slack before the breach. 

Christine Corona March 28, 2023

Another use case: We would like to ping the agents in Opsgenie based off the escalation and notifcation methods in place, specifically SMS, rather than Jira automation which forces us to then use Trilio for SMS notifcations. 

*Unless I'm missing how to create that automation leveraging Opsgenie*

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events