Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to access the form data in Jira Automations

Previously when the forms were under ProForma, you were able to see the JSON file and reference form data in automations. To see what I am talking about, go to and go to the section called "Access the contents of ProForma Forms" : https://docs.thinktilt.com/proforma/Jira-Automation-(Cloud).1571291510.html

It said it wasn't supported directly and they were working on a solution but here is an excerpt from the article:

Automation for Jira can access the raw ProForma form data (standard forms only) stored in the entity properties of Jira issues and use that data in automation rules. For issues with ProForma forms attached, this means that form field data and form state can be read by Automation for Jira directly.

The structure to access data, where AAA is the question ID number (not the Question Key defined in the form builder) is:

• Text/Email/URL/Number Fields: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.AAA.text}}

• Date Fields: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.AAA.date}}

• Time Fields: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.AAA.time}}

• Name of a user: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.AAA.users.get(0).name}}

• Choice Fields: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.AAA.choices.get(0)}}

• Note this will only return the ID associated with the choice rather than the text.

• The text of the selected choice value is stored is difficult for Automation for Jira to retrieve. It is stored as:
      issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".questions.choices

To find the question ID, go to the Preview tab of the standard form builder and enter values in the desired fields so they are populated. Then go to the Issue JSON tab and scroll down to the state array at the bottom.

All automations that were set up previously with these property calls are still working but the JSON view has been taken away, so I am not able to find the field properties to access the data. 

This is a requirement because we are gathering a lot of information that is just for getting a task done and we need it broken out in separate fields to ensure people fill them out correctly, but when passed over to the teams that will work them, we only need it all dumped into a Description field so they can see it. 

Basically, is there any way now that it has been integrated, to find this information so that we can continue to utilize the forms as we did before?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Simon Herd Atlassian Team Jun 15, 2022

@Ryan Wolfe thanks for your question. As noted there is no formal support for accessing the form entity property directly; however, the data is still there and you can use the steps above to access it.

We will bring support to Automation for Jira to access form contents with SmartValues; however, it is not yet available.

In the meantime you can use the Entity Property Tool for Jira to be able to inspect the form data. This should allow you to continue to build your automations.

Again, this work is not officially supported, so please be careful how you work with these properties as you can easily break a form by changing the JSON.

A few screenshots to show you how to access the data.

SCR-20220616-dyo.png

SCR-20220616-dzl.png

@Simon Herd Thank you for the suggestion. I am definitely looking forward to a more official solution but this will definitely work in the meantime. 

Like Z B likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Coming Soon: Insight Changing to Assets

The 2020 acquisition of Mindville added powerful asset and configuration management capabilities to Jira Service Management in the form of Insight. Following the completion of that integration, custo...

246 views 1 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you