Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i move a project from one helpdesk to another

grose September 17, 2020

I have two helpdesk sites:

• company.atlassian.com
  • trial-company.atlassian.com

the trial one was created by mistake - and there's a project on it that I'd like to move to company.atlassian so i can manage everything with the same user base etc.

Can this be done?

2 answers

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2020

Hi @grose 

The ideal way to move the above is a project merge which is a bit complicated.

Before we begin, while you perform this, no new issues, changes must be performed on either JIRA instances as they would be lost.

1. Setup 2 JIRA Servers (self hosted)
  2. Take a server backup of both of your instances and restore them on the servers in step #1. (remember to restore all your add-ons that you have in cloud so you do not lose their data.)
    • Also take a cloud backup of the final server because the restore process later on will destroy the data and you want a way to rollback if possible.
  3. Use either of the add-ons Configuration Manager for JIRA or Project Configurator to export the one project you need from one server and import it into the other.
  4. Once the project has been imported, take a backup of the server you restored the data to.
  5. Restore the backup to your main JIRA server (this is a destructive step that will overwrite your existing project data hence the warning at the top.)

These steps should help with the project moving but as mentioned again, please do the above with care and always make sure you have a backup at all times.

Regards.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2020

Hi @grose ,

At present, Project Import functionality does not currently include Active Objects data and so it is not possible to move JIRA Service Desk project data between instances.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2741

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events