Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i give other Jira uses / projects 'read only' access to a Jira Service Management Project ?

Michael Green June 23, 2022

How do i give other Jira uses / projects 'read only' access to a Jira Service Management Project ?  e.g. so they can browse issues and so that Dashboards work for them (i.e. so they can access the data and filters required to drive the dashboard ?

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

@Michael Green  -

You can simply add them to your JSM project's Service Desk Team Member as long as they are not assigned with an agent license.  In JSM, only users with agent license can edit issues.

Your Jira users even they are added to the Service Desk Team, since they don't have agent license therefore their access of the JSM project in the project UI will be READ ONLY.

If you want to do something fancier, you can create a new project role (from the system side) - named it Limited Access, and then add your Jira users to that role for your JSM project.  In your JSM project, you can just grant "Browse Project" permission only to that specific new role.  In this way, you don't have add your Jira users to the ServiceDesk Team role.

Example -

2022-06-23_18-38-47.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Michael Green June 23, 2022

Thanks Joseph but I don't want to have to do this for each individual user - is there way to do this with a group e.g. all jira users ?

Is this what you are suggesting ?

image.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

@Michael Green -

I would recommend that try it out with a few Jira users first to ensure that they can access the JSM project via the project UI first.  Afterward when everything looks good, then you can proceed with your existing user group.

This is assuming that you don't have users in the above group which are also an agent in your JSM env.

In our env, we used the route of the setup with the new project role solution as I mentioned before + we used a separate group (NOTE - it is not our entire Jira users community) which only authorized Jira users are added to the group.  We then adjusted the JSM project's permission scheme to give "Browse Project" permission to the new project role and assigned the group to project role.

Hope this makes sense for you.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events