Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable automatic customer creation from E-Mail CC

Stephan Geheeb September 25, 2020

Hi,

If an E-Mail is sent to our Jira SD address, every recipient (even those in CC) is automatically created as a Service Desk Customer. We would like to disable this in order to have more control over the customers within a project.

Does anyone know how to do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2020

Hello @Stephan Geheeb,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

It's possible to disable the account creation for customers, it will prevent the CC to be added to the project, but also if a customer that doesn't' have an account sends an email to your service desk, the account and the ticket won't be created. It will show an error on the logs informing that they don't have access. 

As a Jira administrator, you can disable it by going to Cog icon > Products > Click on Configuration under Jira Service Desk.

On "Can customers create their own accounts?", select "No, only my team can create accounts".

This is a global configuration, so it will affect all Service Desk projects.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 11.43.57.png

If you also want to make your project private and let only specific customers create tickets, you can change their permission on Project settings > Customer permissions (Classic) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (Next-gen).

On this page, select "Customers my team adds to the project" on "Who can access the portal and send requests…?" > Save.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Stephan Geheeb September 28, 2020

Hello Angélica,

Thanks for the quick reply! This already fixes part of our problem. However, our customers still send us requests via E-Mail. We then forward these mails to our sevice desk address. So whenever one of our agents forwards a mail to the Service Desk (with the customer on CC), the customer still gets added to the service desk project. Is there a way to turn off this behaviour as well?

Thank you!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2020

Hi Stephan,

Thank you for the details.

When we disable the option for customers to create their own accounts and also select the option "Customers my team adds to the project" to close the project, new accounts won't be created. 

If customers are added as participants, it means that they already have permission on the project.

You can prevent them to share the tickets with other people by going to Customer permissions and select that they can share the requests with other customers in their organizations, so if they are not part of an organization, they won't be able to share the ticket with anyone.

Stephan Geheeb September 29, 2020

Thank you, that did the trick :)

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Jason Thompson October 2, 2020

Hello Angélica,

I have exactly requirements, as Stephan so was happy to find this post.

However, when I look in my JIRA Service Desk settings, I cannot find the ‘Can customers create their own accounts’ setting.

Can customers create their own accounts.png

We are running JIRA Service Desk 3.16.0 and Jira Software 7.13.0

I presume the setting you mention is only available on a more current version of the software?

Thanks.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 6, 2020

Hello @Jason Thompson,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The steps I mentioned are related to Service Desk Cloud and on Server it's a little different.

Jira Service Desk doesn't have the exact same options as Cloud, but it's possible to allow the customers to create their own accounts. 

Please, go to Cog icon > Administration > Applications and under Jira Service Desk, click on Configuration. 

On this page, you will see the "Public signup" option where you can select the option "Yes, project administrators can allow anyone to email the service desk or raise a request in the portal".

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.18.37.png

Also, go to Project settings > Customer permissions and on the option "Who can raise a request?" select "Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal" > Save.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.23.02.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Jason Thompson October 8, 2020

Hello Angélica,

Correct, we are running a server instance.

Thanks’ very much for your reply, However I think I was not clear enough in my question.

I have the same problem as the post from Stephan Geheeb on Sep 28, 2020.

That is, that my colleagues receive emails from external sources, purchase requests etc, and they then forward these emails onto the service desk ticket system so that they can work on the issue in JIRA SD.

The ticket is created as expected with the author being my colleague(s) that forwarded the original email. These colleagues have an existing JIRA accounts.

The problem for us is that the email address from the external contact (which is in the CC field in the email) is automatically setup as a user and added to the ticket. Therefore, they receive email updates when tickets are updated etc…

We have had a few complaints from these external contacts; they do not want to be in our ticket system, so I am looking for a way to prevent this behavior. That is, the automatic creation of accounts from the received email CC fields.

Our system is set to private

Private.png

Customer account creation is set to ‘Yes, agents always create new customers, existing customers create new customers only if the Service Desk allows public signup’

Yes agents always create new customers existing customers create new customers only if the Service Desk allows public signup.png

All of our agents (my colleagues who forward on the emails) have Admin rights via group access.
I wonder if I remove this admin access from the group, than just apply admin access to a few users, that will prevent the then non admin agents from automatically creating new accounts from Email CC fields when they forward these onto the ticket system?

Thanks…

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events