I am struggling with finding the proper way to configure SSL for a JIRA Service Management Data Center implementation.
I did find a guide on how to do this for the JIRA product itself, but it does not appear to be applicable because it needs additional JAVA setup on the server. The JIRA Service Management installation bundle for Windows is supposed to come pre-configured with it's own JAVA, so should not be needed.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get started?
Hey @Scott Barr ,
Could you share the guide you found, I'd like to see how it suggests you set it up.
There are several ways of doing this
The official suggestion you can find here
Good morning, Sorry I did not respond yesterday. I had apparently done something wrong and the forums would not let me post :)
This is the guide that is confusing me. I used the Windows installer that is supposed to come prepackaged with a JRE that is to be used, however none seem to be present. None of the steps in the guide function for me, as I cannot launch java apps, nor can I seem to set the JAVA HOME information.
Despite what the documentation says(in multiple places i see note of using the built in JRE that comes with the pre-packaged solution), should I just go ahead and install Oracle JRE 11 or some such to do this?
Appreciate any assistance, I am very new to web type development and configuring SSL.
Edit : To be more clear, I am using the x64 Windows installer for JIRA Service Management only. Nothing else has been installed except Postgres SQL 11.
I was able to get the Java key store built, and certificates added from my CA. Instead of continuing with the config\server.xml manual changes, I installed a new version of Java Runtime Environment and ran the "config.bat" tool that was mentioned a little further up in this same guide. I adjusted the entries as it said, doing HTTPS only, set the port to 8443, and directed to the keystore. All tested successfully.
After a reboot however, I am now getting an error on the webpage startup at https://xxx:8443 that "The Server.xml file is missing parameters needed by JIRA to handle requests that contain special characters."
Investigating, but if anyone knows anything real quick, please chime in :)
Hey @Scott Barr ,
you need to make sure your tomcat connectors have the part for the special characters.
this thread seems to explain it pretty well.
I think I'm struggling with the xml formatting and understanding what I'm seeing. I cannot share due to regulations at my job, unfortunately.
When I open with Notepad, it looks like both my HTTP and HTTPS connectors are commented out using <!-- -->. Some lines at the bottom are not commented out, but I do not see a "connector" line down there. BUT when I look at the .xml using a web browser, I see a connector port entry listed at the bottom. I do not see these lines when editing the .xml file!
I'm probably struggling with just a basic understanding learning curve here...
So I added :
To the configuration at the very bottom of the XML, as when I looked further into it, it seemed to be a valid connection configuration. I rebooted and now https seems to be working with no errors on the startup page like before!. Those HTTP and HTTP connectors in the middle are still commented out... but if you say they should be uncommented, maybe I need to look into that. I might experiement some.
I think I am finally good now though. Big learning curve for me. Thank you for the nudges in the right direction Dirk!
Hello Community! Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events