How can I fill an insight custom-field with data from another field?

P. Peña July 27, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to auto populate an insight field from one Object Type to another field in a different Object Type.

For instance, I have an Object Type = GUM that has an attribute of "GUM" and an Attribute called "App Name".  "App Name" is referenced in other Object Types and is something I can join on.

I also have an Object Type = "OS Instances", which also has an attribute of "GUM" that references back to the Object Type above ("GUM").  This Object Type ("OS Instances") also has a attribute field called "Application" (same as "App Name" from "GUM" Object Type).

Is there a way I can fill in the "Application" attribute from the Object Type GUM's App Name attribute when both GUM attributes match? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Frederic Wolf August 6, 2022

Hi @P. Peña 

i am trying to reconstruct ehat youve written…

Object Type = GUM

• GUM
  • App Name

Object Type = "OS Instances"

• GUM (Reference to GUM)
  • Application (Should be automatically like App Name in GUM, if GUM is linked/referenced)

If i have understood this correct, your facing the same thing like me a week ago.

You want to keep the attributes in sync, so that there is no inconsistency and no work for the team to keep it in sync. Normally we should not have the same information at two or more places, BUT in a real world we want to see the information of some specific attributes in both objects, because we dont want to do the extra drill down to the reference, to get the information we want. 

Ideal would be an “VIEW Attribute of reference” attribute, but thats not existing. 

At the moment we can solve this with an automation. I have already done that. 

The short logic is the following:

• Update to Object
  • if Object Type = "OS Instances" AND GUM not Empty
  • Set attribute application = Gum.appname

I have a realworld implementation of something similar. I will add it as soon i aM at my PC tomorrow. 

Frederic Wolf August 6, 2022

9006349D-F52B-421D-8499-911370D3DB74.jpeg

My Schema: Inventory

ObjectType: Notebook

• Name
  • Model (reference to Model)
  • Manufacturer (sync from
  • midel with automation )

ObjectType: Model

• Name
  • Manufacturer

Then Lookup objects:
"Name" IN ("{{object.Model.Name}}") AND objectType in objectTypeAndChildren("Models")

i Hope this helps

Like P. Peña likes this
P. Peña August 8, 2022

@Frederic Wolf  Appreciate the help!  Question.  On the last piece where you are looking up the objects from "objectType in objectTypeAndChildren" in the below statement:

"Name" IN ("{{object.Model.Name}}") AND objectType in objectTypeAndChildren("Models")

Where is the reference of "objectTypeAndChildren" coming from?

Frederic Wolf August 8, 2022

Hi,

i am uaing the function objectTypeAndChildren because my schema has an hirachy.

Models ia an abstract and below models are different model types. E.g. Notebooks, Printers, …

The function include all childs, so the function is much more generic. 

I have the same structure for the assets.

If you need further information for the functions have look here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/use-insight-query-language-iql/

I am curreNtly in the middle of developing  a good structure. I am trying to find a good balance of abstraction and normalization, without making it to complicated to create new objects.

my current structure is looking like this:

3E165AA6-75C8-430A-8EC4-B2A88324945C.jpeg

if you are are also in the middle of structure and related logic, i would appreciate some 1:1 discussion about it. PN me via LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/frederic-wolf-026ab6239

P. Peña August 8, 2022

@Frederic Wolf 

Okay, this helps with the screenshot.  I wasn't sure how that was used but if I am understanding correctly, that specific statement refers to the objectType and any children under those objectTypes.  My model doesn't currently have any children associated.

Thank you very much!!!!

Frederic Wolf August 8, 2022

Yep thats 100% like it works

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events