Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Make Custom Fields Required For Only One Issue Type In Project

Jeremiah Small December 20, 2021

Hi,

I have created a bug issue type that has custom fields that are only used in this specific bug issue type.  Now, I want to make these fields required before the issue is created.  When I set any of these fields to required other issues that do not contain this fields show an error message saying that there are required fields that are not on the issue screen.  So for an example, if I try to create a Story type, I cannot do so because it is looking for the fields I made required that do not exist in the Story issue screen.

I have read through a good bit of Jira documentation on this and have created separate field configurations and field configuration schemes, but the last step in all of the documents says to go to the project you want to use the new field configuration for and associate it.  Here lies the problem: Jira will not let me associated the project with multiple fields configurations.

Is there away to have issues with different fields configurations in the same project?  I have looked over many community threads, and it seems like there are several people looking for how to do this, but questions are not being answered.

Any insight in to this would be appreciated!

2 answers

4 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

Hi Jeremiah,

This can be accomplished with field configurations.  You will want a field configuration that you'll apply to the bug issue type and another for the other issues in your project.

0 votes
ashoemaker July 7, 2022

@Jeremiah Small , Did you figure this out?  I'm struggling with the exact same thing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events