Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Hide email comments from portal

I have been looking for a while but can't seem to figure this out.

Our company has a JSM portal that we use with outside customers. We would like only comments that come via the web interface to be shown to the customers on the portal. If a comment comes in via email we would like it to be marked as an internal comment.

Is there a way to do this and i'm just not understanding a setting, or is this not possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras Community Leader Sep 19, 2022

Hi @Chandler Reeves and welcome to the community,

Who is sending these emails? The customers? Are the customer jira users as well, or not?

Which handler have you setup? The JSM built-in, or another?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using the built in JSM handler.

Customers and employees are sending the emails.

The customers are not jira users.

Internal comments can be made only from users.. for the right reasons :)

You could either search for an app that could do that, stop using the email request issue, if you don't need it. But on cloud I think that it is going to be a more difficult that on premise, to achieve that.

Thank you for you response. I was pretty sure that was going to be the answer but I wanted to double check.

I was thinking that I could do it with a workflow or automation but I couldn't find a way to distinguish between comments that were left via the web UI vs email comments.

If you were on premise, I think that you could achieve something with scriptrunner. On cloud, things are a bit tighter..

WHat exactly is your goal? Why you want to hide comments sent from emails? If a user doesn't have a JSM license, even if he replies via email, his comment will be private. A jira user, with no JSM license, can't make public comments. SO your agents, if they don't want their comments to be public, they should reply from the agent's issue view.  

It has been directed to me from my boss to see if there is a way to make emails "internal" and only allow comments to be seen when made from the web UI.

But why he wants that? What is (s)he trying to accomplish? I've provided a possible solution to your other question

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

An unofficial way to monitor a JSM mail handler for errors

...eturns true if any content is returned for the webResponse.body.data.first s...

699 views 2 20
Read article

Atlassian Community Events