Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide a Project from the portal but allow for a direct link?

Ben Weisman April 26, 2021

Hello,

Please help me find a solution for this use case:

I need to allow for employees at my company to create tickets for adding new hires to our systems. These employees don't have JIRA access. So I need an external portal for them to be able to add them. However, I don't want this portal to be visible amongst the other options within our portal where customers can report issues.

Is there a way I can hide a portal option (in this case it would be 'Onboarding') from the Portal but still allow for a direct link that I can share with select people?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Hi, Ben. You can set permissions on separate service desk/service management projects differently, which would prevent customers from viewing one of them, but you can't hide a specific request type from specific users if the Onboarding request type is in the same project as the other requests that your external customers access.

Thank you!

@Esther Strom One quick follow up:

Is there an option where the Onboarding portal is only visible to specific people? Or is everything just 'view only' essentially for non permissioned people? I'm trying to understand exactly what a 'random' person would see if they followed the link to a portal where they are not permissioned to create tickets.

Thanks!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Assuming by "portal" you mean that Onboarding is a separate Jira Service Management project from your other projects. If that's true, then if they went to the main-level home (https://<your instance>.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals) they wouldn't even see the Onboarding project as an option if they don't have access to the project. 

If they somehow got a link directly to the project-level portal (https://<your instance>.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/2, for example), they'd see a login screen with a "Need an account" link if your project permissions and system-level settings (https://<your instance>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/SDConfiguration.jspa) are set to allow customers to create their own accounts.

2021-04-26 16_43_36-Login - Jira Service Management.png

If your global settings are set to not allow customers to create their own accounts, they'll get a login screen without a link.

2021-04-26 16_48_14-Login - Jira Service Management.pngHave a look at these two documentation pages for more info:

Permissions for your service project and Jira site

How global customer permissions impact project permissions

If you don't have a staging or sandbox environment available, I'd suggest signing up for a free trial of another instance so you can test permissions out without accidentally opening up your production site.

Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events